The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tourer hood "peak" woodwork
David Nightingale thinks my AH tourer has a non-standard wooden "peak" to the front of the hood.

I have said I could make it right, if need be.

David thinks the front edge is a lot thinner than standard.

The peak is still attached, so measurements are not exact:   44.5 " overall width,  4" deep,  15/16" thick at the rear,  bevelled down to 1/4" at the front and 11/16" at the sides.

If you have one of these cars and could give me an idea of your "peak"s measurements, you would be welcome to claim a pint (beer or oil) if we meet one day.  Wink

Thanks

"Slack Alice" Simon
I have an AG tourer (SWB short chassis 1932) is it likely to be the same?
Hello Simon,
My AH tourer's hood peak is a recent and precise copy of the original one. It is 44'' x 4'' with an overall thickness of 1.5'' at the back and curving down to 0.75'' at the front and sides (ends).  I say 'overall thickness' because, like the original, it is scooped out down to only 1'' thick at the back. Most replacement peaks that I have seen have been left 'solid', i.e. not routed out (scooped).
Note that the overhang, measured from the centre of the windscreen pegs to the front of the peak is 3.25''.
Mick
(18-06-2018, 08:02 PM)SJH123 Wrote: David Nightingale thinks my AH tourer has a non-standard wooden "peak" to the front of the hood.

I have said I could make it right, if need be.

David thinks the front edge is a lot thinner than standard.

The peak is still attached, so measurements are not exact:   44.5 " overall width,  4" deep,  15/16" thick at the rear,  bevelled down to 1/4" at the front and 11/16" at the sides.

If you have one of these cars and could give me an idea of your "peak"s measurements, you would be welcome to claim a pint (beer or oil) if we meet one day.  Wink

Thanks

"Slack Alice" Simon

For my 1933 AJ I have 44 inches overall width and 4 inches deep. Rear thickness is 22mm with 18mm at the front - sorry about the mixed standards! 

[attachment=3042]
[attachment=3043]

The two attached jpgs may help.

Ian
As far as I am aware the peak was simply painted with a thin coat of black paint and not wrapped in fabric.  The photo shows my AH Tourer peak with a hood fitted by David Nightingale about 17 years ago and still giving excellent service.  Note that there is a length of fabric covered weather strip, the original may have been a simple extruded rubber piping.
Mick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you for the well detailed replies.

So mine is definitely non original.

I didn't know about the scoop.   Will have to do, what is for me, some clever woodworking.

Re the earlier car - I don't know if they are they same.

Cheers

"Slack Alice" Simon