The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New crankcase
It does now put into perspective why an original Nippy crankcase priced at 1000, more recently 1500, is increasingly just good value if useable, especially as more originals will inevitably get broken as years pass.
Hi all here are some pics of the blown crankcase.

[attachment=3013]

[attachment=3014]

Sadly I don't have the grasshopper case in at the momment.

I beleive picture of it were put on the old forum, sitting on quarry engineerings stall. When I bought all the patterns from them?
Hi Tony

That’s a work of art! A terrific bit of engineering.

Bill g
Based near the Scottish Border,
Thread with the photos Tony mentions above, here: http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...0&cmd=show
Hi Tony,

The patterns obviously wouldn't be cheap, I'd guess from past knowledge, if they were made today somewere around £20,000 each for crankcasses.

Sadly unless they produce something there actual worth is £0,000.00

I recently had talks with a company doing cylinder block for a vintage car, bit bigger than our austin 7s. So a bit extra cost in casting. But the same machining as an austin 7 as it was a side valve engine. The pattern was a full pattern, and cost £15,000. I was told by them they had to price the finished block at £2,850 each fully machined.

Although a customer has informed me they may have revised there prices around the £3,500 mark.

The last austin 7 blocks I made were £1,100 each fully machined.

The only advise I can give to anyone out there who think austin 7 prices, especially casting look expensive. Is to check what any other vintage car company charges. ( AND CLUBS ARE NO CHEAPER ).

Tony.
hi bill,

i can only agree, it is a work of art.

but i cant take credit for its manufacture. thats between dave flake and the casting company.

and thank you R, for the quike responce.

tony
I know Tony has patterns, but things have moved on with respect to one off castings from the days of timber patterns and the moulders skill.

You can now scan items in 3D, using a CAD package scale for shrinkage, put machining allowances on etc, and 3d print patterns for a fraction of the cost of paying a patternmaker/carpenter to make them. Often the way to go with one offs is to print a poly pattern which effectively melts as you pour in the metal.

My mate Ken had had this cylinder block cast fairly recently (in iron), I think the picture shows the size well, but does not show its complexity. I hope the link works

[Image: 31170201_595290457515662_271811013390840...e=5B765D0D]

Whilst I dont disagree with any of Tonys costings for supply of castings, or machining, or indeed the prices he is quoting for blocks etc. However some of the other figures knocking about regards to pattern making seem a little far fetched to me, particularly given the advances in the industry in the last 10 years. Remember my other hobby involves having replacement parts manufactured when the existing ones break or wear out. Old spares and off the shelf isn't an option.

Its always struck me that the heritage industry is often taken for a ride pricewise. Particularly the vintage car world.
Making parts from stock bar is pretty easy,producing a part from a pattern not so.
Firstly you need a pattern,cost.
Is it accurate enough , and designed so that the foundry can use it.
You have to carefully store them.
Foundry has not got to loose or damage parts of it.
Foundry has to produce a good casting.
Parts have to be cast in the correct/appropriate material and possibly heat treated without distortion.
The machinist has to get the best out of the casting,otherwise it could be a pile of scrap.The machining has to be accurate,ie crank cam centres to c.002",bearing bores c.0005"
More so with a crankcase,it would be easy to come out of the side with say an oil gallery.
Even with the best castings you can still get locallsed areas of porosity or a blow hole,no two are the same.
Any of the problems above and it's no good.
Not many people will buy a new crankcase while second hand ones are available.
Hi Dave,

you have been making parts for these cars longer than I have. And that sounds like a lot of hard and expensive work.

Hedds way sounds a lot cheaper and easier.

Although I won't be going down the computer route myself, I watched TERMINATOR the other night. And I've seen what might happen if you give the machines all that information.

Tony