The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coils positives and negatives
I ought to know the answer to this but car electrics have never been my forte.  If your coil has + and - terminals then for a positive earth car + is earth and thus the wire goes to the distributor and - goes to the ignition feed, and vice versa.  All the A7 coils I have seen simply show SW or CB, not + or -.  But when Sevens changed from negative earth to positive earth in 1935 did the coils fitted have their terminals changed round?  If so how do I know if I have a post-35 coil or a pre-35 coil?  I know it's not a disaster to fit them the wrong way round but it does not produce the stronger spark if you get it wrong.  Or am I talking rubbish?
I understand, though am quite prepared to be proved wrong, that coils marked SW and CB are positive-earth coils only. Negative earth are marked + / - .
No, you are not talking rubbish.
That rule may apply for postwar coils but early neg earth show CB and SW.
If using a very old coil really only certain by checking the polarity. The pencil lead method OK but avoid drawing long sparks or gaps which will not jump as stress the car sytem and beware shock which stresses the human system.
Some use an analogue meter but not intended fro thousands of volts.
From what I have been led to believe, it doesn't matter. Or at least not that much. An ignition coil is basically a low voltage to high voltage transformer and because it is an alternating current device it is not affected by polarity. The spark plugs will give the same quality spark regardless of coil polarity but there is an interesting theory that says electrons prefer to flow from hot to cold so you would ideally have a potential negative voltage at the central (hot) electrode with a positive earth system. As you cannot be sure if your coil is designed for a positive or negative earth car you can determine for yourself which way the current is flowing. Detach a HT lead and place it near an earth point (or a plug connector end) with a graphite pencil tip in-between. Crank the engine and you should see a spark jump between wire and pencil, then to earth (or spark plug). There should be a flare between the pencil and earth (or plug). If the flare is going towards the coil the polarity should be corrected by swapping over the wires on the coil.
On coils marked CB and SW: CB is for contact breaker(points) and SW is for Switch or the power to the coil.

Stephen
I think that what Ray has said is correct. The down side of getting the polarity wrong is that the High voltage will pass through the Low voltage winding. In effect, a coil is like a transformer, but with only 3 connections. The low voltage winding have a + and - end (irrespective of earth polarity). However the high voltage coil has one end going to the plug and the other end connected to one end of the low voltage coil. If the wrong coil is used. then the return from the high voltage winding will as I say pass through the low voltage winding which is not designed for the elevated voltage (The difference between 6 volts and 10,000 volts or so). Some coils will not take this overload and fail at some point.
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't coils pulsed DC, not AC ?
Interesting article here by a chap called David Berry, quoting a reply from Lucas in 1966 about the reasons for positive or negative earth.

The link downloads a pdf file.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source...gw359cpBtZ
The Berry article confirms that the connections are different for pos and neg earth systems. Woodrow shows a 1933 wiring diagram (neg earth with coil marked SW going to ignition as we would expect) and 1936 (pos earth) showing just the same. So were coils produced after 1935 with the terminal labels switched round somehow, or was the same old coil used because nobody bothered as the system would still work, albeit not as well as it should?
When I look at this a while ago, the best reference I found was:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm

This includes the paragraph:

"Why then do we worry about coil polarity? Because the spark plugs do care which way the electrons are flowing in the high tension circuit. The spark plug has a thermally insulated center electrode (surrounded by ceramic). With engine running the center electrode runs substantially hotter than the exposed end electrode. Design of the ceramic insulator determines how hot the center electrode will run, leading to the designation of hotter or colder spark plugs. As electrons go, they love to jump away from a hot surface and fly toward a colder surface, so it is easier to drive them from hot to cold rather than from cold to hot. End result is a difference of 15 to 30 percent in voltage required to make spark "initially" jump the gap on the plug depending on which way it is going. So the spark plug prefers to see a voltage potential that is negative on the center electrode and positive on the end electrode for the very first hop of the spark. Oddly enough, this has nothing to do with polarity of the vehicle electrical system, but it is influenced by the common connection inside the ignition coil."

Regards
Colin
This is a very good article that explains the coil wiring and how it works:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm
Jim