The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacuum Wiper Arm
I have a lucas vacuum wiper and purchased an arm from one of the A7 suppliers but I can not get it tight on the spindle, possibly a worn spindle or lose fitting arm but both look ok.  Does any one have a fix to get it tight on the spindle?

Also the suppliers only stock one type of arm were they all the same for the all A7 cars over the ages or is the one curently stocked the only one Austin used?  

I do have a couple of the vacuum wipers with differnt spindles,

One with a small hole in the spindle which the arm hooks into and uses a spring to retain the arm, but the arm I have is worn out.
One with two notches in the spindle, not sure how that one worked.
One with a half round notch which takes a screw fixing but the arm with the fixing won't fit the car as it makes the spindle to short.

Any thoughts are these wipers of other random non A7 cars?
(07-06-2018, 07:58 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: I have a lucas vacuum wiper and purchased an arm from one of the A7 suppliers but I can not get it tight on the spindle, possibly a worn spindle or lose fitting arm but both look ok.  Does any one have a fix to get it tight on the spindle?

Also the suppliers only stock one type of arm were they all the same for the all A7 cars over the ages or is the one curently stocked the only one Austin used?  

One with a small hole in the spindle which the arm hooks into and uses a spring to retain the arm, but the arm I have is worn out.
One with a half round notch which takes a screw fixing but the arm with the fixing won't fit the car as it makes the spindle to short.

Suggest you contact Don Breakspear in Wokingham - he is the go-to man for all Lucas vacuum wiper queries. Google him
(07-06-2018, 07:58 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: I have a lucas vacuum wiper and purchased an arm from one of the A7 suppliers but I can not get it tight on the spindle, possibly a worn spindle or lose fitting arm but both look ok.  Does any one have a fix to get it tight on the spindle?

I have had arms supplied with a split sleeve allowing fitment to two different sizes of spindle. I have no idea whether these are still available, not having replaced any blades since I started using Rain-X.
Robert Leigh
Hi Douglas.  I had the same problem with the wiper arm not tightening on the spindle.   I wrapped a sleeve made  out of beer can, which was just the right thickness to allow the arm to slip onto the spindle and tighten properly.
(09-06-2018, 11:25 PM)Nic Wiggins Wrote: Hi Douglas.  I had the same problem with the wiper arm not tightening on the spindle.   I wrapped a sleeve made  out of beer can, which was just the right thickness to allow the arm to slip onto the spindle and tighten properly.

Nic thanks, best get drinking some beer.