The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATF in gearbox
Is anyone using Automatic Transmission fluid in their gearbox, if you are what are your longterm experiences of doing so?
Black Art Enthusiast
No idea, but there's a fair bit if WTF in the gearboxes I bought recently, and I don't think its very good at all.  Sad
(06-06-2018, 10:40 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Is anyone using Automatic Transmission fluid in their gearbox, if you are what are your longterm experiences of doing so?

I've heard that it's the thing for preselector gearboxes but I've not tried in in an Austin.

What are the supposed benefits for a crash box?

C
I  was having no trouble with the 5 speed manual gearbox on my modern until I changed the oil using the recommended grade. Subsequently the syncros would baulk before engaging. I was recommended to use ATF instead and even though I was suspicious about moving away from manufacturers spec, the problem was solved.
The point is we drove that car for years after and then passed it on to my daughter who experienced no gearbox issues.  regards  Russell
Daimler pre-selector boxes use engine oil.
Jim
(06-06-2018, 10:40 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Is anyone using Automatic Transmission fluid in their gearbox, if you are what are your longterm experiences of doing so?

Ian,

Automatic Transmission 'fluids' are lubricating oils with a friction modifier in varying amounts depending on the transmission design to assist the friction bands to operate smoothly.

ATF viscosities are low - around SAE 20 - with a high viscosity index - meaning the viscosity generally constant.

Austin Seven boxes are normally lubricated with SAE 30 engine oil so there isn't a great need for gear oil performance.

I suppose the SAE 20 oil would offer less resistance but the friction modifiers would no be of no use in an Austin 7 gearbox.

ATF isn't used in the DSG system which uses two clutches and what we would understand as a normal pair of gearboxes

Cheers, Tony.
Hahaha Nick, there seems to be a fair bit of WTF in the Austin 7 world, including some threads on this forum!
Thanks for the responses so far, my reason for asking is that I have been doing some work on a Chummy which has been running with ATF in the 3 speed gearbox, I have no idea how many miles it has covered like this but all I can say is that there are no obvious ill effects. I am aware that a number of manual gearboxes do use automatic fluid but I had not heard of anyone using it in a seven until now and wondered if I am missing something.
Black Art Enthusiast
well how does it drive/feel in use with ATF?
Are there efficiency issues that you are aware of from using engine oil?
(07-06-2018, 01:35 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: Hahaha Nick, there seems to be a fair bit of WTF in the Austin 7 world, including some threads on this forum!
Thanks for the responses so far, my reason for asking is that I have been doing some work on a Chummy which has been running with ATF in the 3 speed gearbox, I have no idea how many miles it has covered like this but all I can say is that there are no obvious ill effects. I am aware that a number of manual gearboxes do use automatic fluid but I had not heard of anyone using it in a seven until now and wondered if I am missing something.
A testament to the robustness of A7 gearboxes I feel...
There was no noticeable difference from a box filled with straight 30w, which is what I replaced it with.
Black Art Enthusiast