The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appropriate Finish for Wheels
Thank you all for your replies which have been been very thought provoking.  Our wheels were originally built by MWS (back when they were in Hammersmith) at which point new rims and hubs were supplied to correct one of our Chummy's earlier originality issues; MWS have done a lovely job with this latest rebuild and I'm delighted so far.

Whilst hand painting with Smoothrite was a satisfactory and a highly economical solution at the time, it failed to show some of the finer detail and the Chummy deserves better; I also recall it being frowned upon by other austineers when we attended the Austin 7 Centenary London to Brighton some years ago - hence the original question!  

I now understand completely why many choose powder coating but thank you Ian for your experience with low-build primer and 2-pack and I'm going to take the wheels to my local (tried and tested) bodyshop in the morning.
rInteresting conversation with the painter this morning and, in essence, he wholeheartedly recommended powder coating for durability; furthermore, he would only paint if presented with rims, hubs and a pile of spokes so they could each receive the treatment they needed then be reassembled!

So, based on earlier comments, powder coating it is... but I now have the choice of Satin or Gloss.

What is the recommended finish?
Ruairidh, What finish do you specify?

Thanks again, Chris
The ones in my photos are gloss black

Ask them to do you a specimen of each and decide which you prefer. 99.9% of the hundreds we have done are gloss.
For comparison here is a full gloss painted wheel that I did recently, I would never paint before assembly, you would damage spokes as you did so and they would probably work loose as the paint beneath the nipples wore.

Black Art Enthusiast
I agree with Ian, utterly bizarre to suggest it should be painted, or anthing else, before assembly.
I might be looking for a new painter who has experience with wires, out of interest what do companies like MWS use, stove enamelling or paint I am guessing?
Black Art Enthusiast
Actually, MWS recommended powder coating.
How were they made when new?
Were spokes not pre painted when on sale as spares? Similarly spare rims. Otherwise they would rust very quickly.
Perhaps supplied in primer?
Nipples were surely plated ????
Certainly no powder coating!
I think they were stove enamelled.

I have a Remax box of spokes - trade repair kit from the 1930s, the spokes are not painted.
I have no direct experience with how Austin originally dealt with spokes and wheels. However on motorcycles, such as my Velocettes, the spokes and nipples were always plated. This was usually in cad as it is hard and is easy to paint. I've still got a couple of spokes and although they are now a dull gray, they have not corroded.

Erich in Seattle