The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fitting new shells
(01-06-2018, 08:35 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Thanks fellahs. Did not realise they were that crude. 18 lbs ft seems plenty! Those exotic ultra HT bolts on the earlier engine would seem a bit of a luxury!

Yes, my other car is a Paxton bodied special which has a Martin Eyre “ Aero crank” and rods (pressure fed 1.5”) originally put together by Stuart Rolt around 1987. He told me he had used gold plated big end bolts, as used in the aircraft industry. I remember thinking this being not quite in the spirit of the Austin Seven but being very proud of it at the same time. This crank has given great service and never needed any attention to the bottom end.

Charles
(01-06-2018, 08:02 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: There is no complication, the bolts are not waisted they simply have a small flat on them to clear the shell.

Which implies that the bolts should be fitted in the rod before the shells.
Jim
(01-06-2018, 10:44 AM)AustinWood Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 08:02 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: There is no complication, the bolts are not waisted they simply have a small flat on them to clear the shell.

Which implies that the bolts should be fitted in the rod before the shells.

I think that’s right as the bolts would push the shells out otherwise.

Charles
Exactly!
Black Art Enthusiast
(31-05-2018, 11:42 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Well done Charles, just goes to show that pleasure is in proportion to effort expended!

I seem to recall being one of those who encouraged you to attempt this, and I feel obliged to confess with hindsight that it must be easier on my car as the bolts go in from underneath into helicoils in the rods, if I remember correctly. This is one time where a deep sump can be a pain too.

Yes I think you did encourage me and thanks for that!

Re deep sump presumably you had to slacken off the engine mounting bolts and jack up the engine under the gearbox in order to accommodate the thicker flange. I have to say I inspected the journals for signs of wear but couldnt see any but I left the center main quite alone.

Charles