The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Original rubber mats
I have a complete set of orginal rubber mats, removed from my 1932 Tourer way back in 1968, and which I would like to use again for the sake of originality.  My problem is that the rubber is now very hard and brittle.  Is there any way that the rubber can be made pliable again?  In their present state they're at risk of just breaking up whilst being reinstalled.
(29-05-2018, 09:04 AM)Mick Hobday Wrote: I have a complete set of orginal rubber mats, removed from my 1932 Tourer way back in 1968, and which I would like to use again for the sake of originality.  My problem is that the rubber is now very hard and brittle.  Is there any way that the rubber can be made pliable again?  In their present state they're at risk of just breaking up whilst being reinstalled.

Possibly some rubber rejuvenator liquid that can be applied as a dressing, just be sure that it will not damage the rubber I dont know how old natural rubber will be affected by modern chemicals. Keep away from products that are solvent based like tyre shine they will degrade the rubber eventually. Just a suggestion, hope it helps.
Just search "natural rubber rejuvenator" but what ever you decide to use, test it on a small piece of the mat first.
(29-05-2018, 12:27 PM)Austin Carr Wrote: Just search "natural rubber rejuvenator" but what ever you decide to use, test it on a small piece of the mat first.

Unfortunately my experience with pre war Meccano rubber tyres indicates that the hardening is permanent. 

I have found  that by warming the tyres at low heat they become flexible but on cooling they revert to hard again . 

Warming your mats in hot water may allow fitting but they will probably fail in use.

Tony.
Mick,
If there's no alternative what about glueing thin material (leathercloth or rubber) to the back of the mats?
Awreet, (see you soon?)
Dave.
(30-05-2018, 08:40 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Mick,
If there's no alternative what about glueing thin material (leathercloth or rubber) to the back of the mats?
Awreet, (see you soon?)
Dave.

Dave that is a good idea.
I've pulled up many a floormat and seen factory made reenforcements of heavy calico stuck on the back of floor and boot mats. In the areas like inside radius' around pedals and fuel fillers, where the mat is most suseptible to tearing.  Superglue (cyanoacrylate) is excellent for repairing splits not so good for the backing, maybe brushable  contact for that.     Good luck,     russell
I have been told that Glycerine will soften rubber. 
Spex