The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch toggle levers
Vince leek will testify to your sage advice Dave, he ended up with a clutch toggle embedded in his thigh some years back.
ouch!
No toggle springs on the alloy cover from Mark Roper just retaining straps, as he found the arms vibrated and wore the slots. another option.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(30-05-2018, 07:23 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: No toggle springs on the alloy cover from Mark Roper just retaining straps, as he found the arms vibrated and wore the slots. another option.

Do you think that the slot wear was/is could be a result of the clutch cover being Ali? I have used the 4 speed levers 3 speed clutch/box conversion without mousetrap springs on several cars. I've never seen any noticeable wear on the four speed release bearing as a result. My '31 tourer was a daily driver for more than 7 years with this setup.
As a “new boy” may I have some more details of this repair to the slotted basket of the 3 speed gearbox please. How is the ring fixed to the basket?
My slots have worn completely down. I think somewhere I read that 3/16” ring thickness was a good place to start.
If cutting new slots is a more satisfactory answer, how long should they be please?
Brian Rosevear
    This photo shows the difference in profile of a new old stock 3 speed toggle lever and a 4 speed toggle lever, the last time I checked new toggle levers they were the same profile.
(28-05-2018, 05:00 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I fit a ring, sometimes two, inside the clutch thrust toggle cage on three speed cars bob.  This usually restores the pedal height.
Ruairidh  - is this a custom made thing, or just a duplicate of one of the things that is around the bearing anyway? Trying to get my head around the layout - would the same improvement come from, if - say - the three clutch arm locators need to be recut in a different quadrant, just not cutting them quite as deep?

(12-05-2020, 09:24 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: This photo shows the difference in profile of a new old stock 3 speed toggle lever and a 4 speed toggle lever, the last time I checked new toggle levers they were the same profile.
Dave - and with that finding, which one of your two NOS levers did they match... or were they some way in between?! (I was just noticing your finding in the photo today... and wondering what and where the difference mattered in relation to mixing parts!)
The nearest one (J379) is a 4 speed toggle lever which is the shape of all new toggle levers. The one behind is an original 3 speed toggle lever. The difference puts the 3 speed clutch pedal nearer the floor.