The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6V Rist Horn
Well chuffed having breathed life back into the electrics and achieved a fairly satisfactory noise; now my mind turns to cosmetics.

I note new badges are available for Rist horns, which affix with 2 small rivets - tempting. However there is no sign whatsoever of such a badge having been fitted in the past - no two small holes, no less rusty area on the trumpet.
The question then is did all Rist horns carry the badge?

It is stamped on the back of the armature cover with the AR logo, British make, 6 Volts.

I also note that while people seem to favour satin black finish for these horns, the unworn paint inside the housing is distinctly glossy - like an enamel plate. The inside of the trumpet looks matt green. The outside obviously was black but is mostly rusty now. Doesn't look like it's been re-painted.

Please nobody go to any great trouble, but comments are invited.
Hello Chris. Your thread is interesting as one of the Rist's horns that I examined for the terminal thread doesn't have any holes for rivets to hold a badge.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
I feel sure someone out there knows all about it!
I hesitate to drill holes and fit a badge if it's 'pukka' the way it is.
With respects, It is definitely a Rist horn? I have restored a few and all had badge rivet holes.
Some photos could be helpful.
Well I have a genuine Rist with no holes and another with holes, I have seen both in the past as well, must be another variation besides the threads. Both make the same noise like an extremely loud and angry Goose!
Black Art Enthusiast
(25-05-2018, 09:11 PM)PeteUU Wrote: With respects, It is definitely a Rist horn? I have restored a few and all had badge rivet holes.
Some photos could be helpful.

It was sold as such (doesn't mean much) - has the triangular 'AR' logo stamped on the rear casing (somewhat more compelling) - and looks exactly like all the pics of 6V Rist horns on Google, only no badge and a bit more rust.

It has the same mounting bracket too, except interestingly (the mrs. might not agree) it is mounted opposite way around to most examples pictured.

I've been inside too and it looks just like the one overhauled in the Cornwall A7 Club article.

So yes, I believe it's a Rist.

(25-05-2018, 09:29 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Well I have a genuine Rist with no holes and another with holes, I have seen both in the past as well, must be another variation besides the threads. Both make the same noise like an extremely loud and angry Goose!

Love the description Ian!!

I note from the web:
Rist’s were a firm of cable and wire manufacturers based from 1919 to 1927 at Crompton Road Oulton Broad A. Rist & Co. In 1927 they moved to Waveney Works Freemantle Road Lowestoft where they stayed until 1939. They also had depots at Economy Road and New Point works Whapload Road They moved to Nuneaton during the Second World War and never returned.
(Sorry about the punctuation - not mine).

The new manufacture badges are all marked 'Lowestoft', I wonder were there were also 'Oulton Broad' or 'Nuneaton' badges?
Wartime economy production perhaps?
(25-05-2018, 09:51 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Rist’s were a firm of cable and wire manufacturers based from 1919 to 1927 at Crompton Road Oulton Broad A. Rist & Co. In 1927 they moved to Waveney Works Freemantle Road Lowestoft where they stayed until 1939. They also had depots at Economy Road and New Point works Whapload Road They moved to Nuneaton during the Second World War and never returned.

The new manufacture badges are all marked 'Lowestoft', I wonder were there were also 'Oulton Broad' or 'Nuneaton' badges?

And of course Joe Lucas quietly took control of Rist in 1929 so this could cause some changes in badging .

Cheers, Tony'
(25-05-2018, 11:47 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(25-05-2018, 09:51 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Rist’s were a firm of cable and wire manufacturers based from 1919 to 1927 at Crompton Road Oulton Broad A. Rist & Co. In 1927 they moved to Waveney Works Freemantle Road Lowestoft where they stayed until 1939. They also had depots at Economy Road and New Point works Whapload Road They moved to Nuneaton during the Second World War and never returned.

And of course Joe Lucas quietly took control of Rist in 1929 so this could cause some changes in badging .

Cheers, Tony'

Doubtful that the change of ownership would affect the badging, as the take-over by Lucas was done secretly and not revealed until many, many years later (I have the date at home), thus they still remained "Rist" horns. Notice one posting refers to no rivet holes in the trumpet, but there were many made and sold that instead had the curved badges rivetted onto the periphery of the horn body - has anyone looked there for a couple of rivet holes? Cheers, Bill in Oz
(26-05-2018, 12:44 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote: [quote pid='10730' dateline='1527288474']

Doubtful that the change of ownership would affect the badging, as the take-over by Lucas was done secretly and not revealed until many, many years later (I have the date at home), thus they still remained "Rist" horns.  Notice one posting refers to no rivet holes in the trumpet, but there were many made and sold that instead had the curved badges rivetted onto the periphery of the horn body - has anyone looked there for a couple of rivet holes?  Cheers,  Bill in Oz

[/quote]

As noted at least one horn without the Rist badge on the body is stamped on the back of the armature cover with the AR logo, British make, 6 Volts- I assume the other horns without a badge are similar.

Tony.
Yes Bill, and I've seen more than one with both badges! But on mine there's no sign of a badge having been fitted on the horn body or trumpet.

Interesting question Tony, I wonder if all the 'badgeless' Rists have the same stamping on the rear cover and the 5/32 BSW terminals?