The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP windows
Are RP windows supposed to go right down into the door or is it usual for them to stop with a couple of inches of glass showing?
(25-05-2018, 08:57 AM)Michael Wrote: Are RP windows supposed to go right down into the door or is it usual for them to stop with a couple of inches of glass showing?

Hi Michael, on my RP the drivers door goes down to half an inch sticking out of the door and the passenger side goes right into the door. Hope that helps.

Smiley
(25-05-2018, 08:57 AM)Michael Wrote: Are RP windows supposed to go right down into the door or is it usual for them to stop with a couple of inches of glass showing?

If they don't go all the way down it could be that the woodwork inside the door has been repaired or replaced, and it is not quite the original pattern. You will only find out by removing the door card.
Robert Leigh
My Windows on my RP go all the way down hope this helps
Stuart Kent
(25-05-2018, 08:15 PM)Stuart k Wrote: My Windows on my RP go all the way down hope this helps
Stuart Kent

Mine too.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Ah well, another job to be done when something else makes taking the doors apart worthwhile.

The door covers are far from original but very plain, simple and tidy. No fixings visible. I did bend back the bottom bit (carpet) to look inside when I bought the car but suspect that the rest of it is held on with panel pins etc. Won't look so tidy once I've been at it!
                Hi Michael.  

The windows should wind down to just below cill level.  If they don't, it's very likely - as has already been suggested - that old repairs are preventing them from going all the way.  RP doors were very badly designed and are extremely prone to rot and/or frame failures.  Very few of the dozens that we've worked on have still been in original condition and most repairers have not understood how the door was supposed to work.

If the frames have been messed about with, it probably isn't worth trying to spot-repair them.  I'd replace them entirely with a new set made to the correct pattern - I have to declare a commercial interest here!
Martin,

Impressive stuff but I save my woodwork for classic sailing dinghies. I suspect my woodwork isn't rotten but it does look as if it has been enthusiastically attended to in the past...in the days when cars were 'put back on the road' rather than 'restored'.

Truth is that I know that if I start to pull the car apart it will be a very long time before it goes back together again. Sun is out so I'll keep using it