The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLIC ML4 Magneto
R    

In my quest to get the car as close as possible to the 1925 specification, I am using a BLIC Magneto,
Which has been overhauled. Unfortunately it is faltering at 5500 rpm. 
I am aware of another car fitted with a BLIC which Revs happily upto 7000 rpm. 

Some have suggested to me that the BLIC is a poor design and that the points don’t like to open above 5000 rpm, but, if that is the case, it must be fixable, perhaps with stronger springing.

Please may I ask if anyone has experience with the BLIC which may help me to resolve the problem.

Regards, Mark
Mark I suggest you give Steve Marks a call at The Magneto Guys 01323 840203 , I have had 6 restored by him and completely happy.  cheers  Russell
That looks like a really interesting engine build, can you post a few more pictures please.

On the Magneto front, you mention it has been overhauled - did they re-magnetize the big magnet ??

We had a poor start running issue with the mag in Dad's '30 Triumph Super 7 and once remagnetized it was a different car. Apparently even the few seconds in pulling the magnet off a magneto before it is placed into some heavy chain or similar can cause it to drastically loose its properties.

Aye
Greig
Thank you Russell and Greig for your posts and to those of you who telephoned me directly with offers of help and mags to borrow.

The mag is currently with Bob Thomas in Cornwall, who thinks he has found the problem, so I will report back on progress.

Greig, The engine is from my build of Slippery Anne. Currently it is sitting some considerable distance from home on the dyno, forlornly waiting for a Magneto, I only have bits and pieces pictures, so I will take and port some when I get it home and it is in the car.

Regards, Mark.