The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different halfshaft tapers
(24-05-2018, 08:55 AM)Ralf Pickel Wrote: Yes - you are right...shame on me.
The nearside one is correct - just checked.
I must have done it because it looks good ! Tongue

Had to take off everything because of a broken brake shoe spring last week...

You shouldnt need to dismantle hub to remove brake shoe springs — there is a cunning little hook available and with a bit of heaving and several cups of tea the springs can be removed and new ones fitted.
I like your penny washers — Jack French swore by those.

Charles
(24-05-2018, 03:16 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(24-05-2018, 08:55 AM)Ralf Pickel Wrote: Yes - you are right...shame on me.
The nearside one is correct - just checked.
I must have done it because it looks good ! Tongue

Had to take off everything because of a broken brake shoe spring last week...

You shouldnt need to dismantle hub to remove brake shoe springs — there is a cunning little hook available and with a bit of heaving and several cups of tea the springs can be removed and new ones fitted.
I like your penny washers — Jack French swore by those.

Charles

I took it apart because I wasn´t sure where the nasty clack clack clack noise came from... Cool 
Car is owned and (mostly) driven by my girlfriend, so I better check thoroughly !

Had been advised to always use washers with non standard wheel nuts - they are self locking ones, untapered. Have this setup on the 7 since 10 or so years, no nut (or wheel) lost in that time ! Wink 

Ralf
(24-05-2018, 03:43 PM)I like your penny washers — Jack French swore by those.Charles Wrote: Had been advised to always use washers with non standard wheel nuts - they are self locking ones, untapered. Have this setup on the 7 since 10 or so years, no nut (or wheel) lost in that time ! Wink 

Ralf

I can add nearly 40 years to that. I was flagged down more than once prior to that by concerned members of the public because my wheels were about to fall off. Then there was the year at Beaulieu we were overtaken by one of our own rear wheels in the New Forest...it went miles and walloped into someone's fence. Used nylocs and penny washers ever since.
A friend had the reoccurrence of seeing wheels parting company with his Alvis 12/70 after he bought it.
Found out that hubs have been attached on the wrong sides......
It was his first car with centre lock hubs, so he did not have experience with those, otherwise he would have realized when refitting a wheel.
Now he knows !
Ralf the clack clack could be related to your broken spring. FWIW I have had similar where for various reasons, the wheel stud flanges on the inner rear hub were fouling the brake cam and also gradually filed away the brake spring - hence also broken spring.
David - thank you but has been repaired already.
It was the spring.
Assumed it from the beginning, had the same before on a Jag XK120 years ago. Almost the same sound...was at the wrong time, though, on my outlap on the Nürburgring, of all places...
What you may not know is that my father was to some extent responsible for the 750MC regulation that insisted on stout washers, not just any old penny washers, and locking nuts on Austin wheels used in competition.
He had a short stay in hospital when a rear wheel pulled over the standard nut at Silverstone. Admittedly that was an early solid centre wheel, and they are weak anyway.
Still - in my eyes a very good improvement in terms of safety.
And not only for the track.
The spoke lacing on your wheel is very interesting Ralf, to your own design?
No - same as on Mrs. JoJo´s wheels.
Had it done by Richard Bros, who did it initially for the Ways.