The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Speedometer cable location
My AG SWB tourer has a 4 speed gearbox  & the speedo cable goes up through the floor by means of bending up one of the removable covers! Not a neat solution. How did it route on a (say) 1933/4 four speed car? The cable is plenty long enough to find a new route.
  I also have to provide an access hole (with rubber bung?) for the gearbox filler plug which could only now be filled (with difficulty!) by a squeezy bottle, oil injector or similar. What was the access on (again) an early four speed car? I will be remaking the angled stiffener on the passenger side floor (The one riveted in by the body mounting bolt) which has been cut in half on it's angle as it may have been in the way of the gearbox (?) and now flops around on a rivet doing not a lot when the body mounting bolt is removed. Actually, not much when that bolt IS in place!

Photos attached

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Have you considered rotating the whole speedo drive casting around by 180° so that it points up the way? That way you can use a short speedo cable as intended on your car.

I have down this successfully to several cars with the same set up as yours.
(23-05-2018, 12:45 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Have you considered rotating the whole speedo drive casting around by 180° so that it points up the way?  That way you can use a short speedo cable as intended on your car.

I have down this successfully to several cars with the same set up as yours.

That is an idea! I did not know it could be rotated. Where will it come up? there are no obvious holes in the floor!.

An entirely different topic...my later engine has the starter motor under the bonnet & the two 1/4 BSW nuts holding it on are so tight against the starter motor casing that I can only just get a short open ended spanner on the flats & then cannot get enough purchase to loosen them! Neither ring nor tubular spanners will fit in the space!
David
Ruairidh, got in there before me re the rotating the plate on the back of the gear box, this has been done on my RN with a 4 speed box, the photo below shows the cable route although the final connection is just out of the photo.  Also shows my cut and shut fly wheel cover.

Re filling the gear box I just un screw the gear leaver and fill from the top of the gear box, a lot easier than trying to unscrew the oil filler bolt.

.jpg   IMG_6343 (002).jpg (Size: 48.38 KB / Downloads: 233)
That is a glimpse of the bleedin' obvious....thanks for that tip
D
(23-05-2018, 01:21 PM)David. H Wrote: An entirely different topic...my later engine has the starter motor under the bonnet & the two 1/4 BSW nuts holding it on are so tight against the starter motor casing that I can only just get a short open ended spanner on the flats & then cannot get enough purchase to loosen them! Neither ring nor tubular spanners will fit in the space!
David

Had to chuckle - spent a good chunk of last night doing this very thing. I got by with sheer pereseverance.... plus taking other bits off to make access (don't forget turning the steering will move the drag link). Then nudge it round half a flat at a time...
The small 1/4” drive Whit. sockets fit these, hard to get to, nuts.
(23-05-2018, 03:49 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The small 1/4” drive Whit. sockets fit these, hard to get to, nuts.
In addition to Ruairidh's upside-down solution, you must remember that your short w/base floor was not originally intended for a four-speed box.  Before fitting a 4spd, one should cut away the floor in a particular shape that also allows for the filler to be got at.  In addition the nearside L-shaped bracket that is rivetted up from the cross-member should be reversed -ie- facing backwards, not forwards, to give convenient clearance.  If you wish to cut your floor (the piece can always be welded back into it later if you haven't lost it!) you're welcome to email me on ausevenoz@gmail.com  and I can send you a template of the required shape (eliminates the chance of cutting away too much).   Good Luck.  Cheers,   Bill in Oz
Or, remove the gearstick and fill from the top?
Ruairidh do you not have to alter the housing in order to reverse it, from memory the holes are not symmetrical and need modification, I have done it once but a long long time ago now??
Black Art Enthusiast