The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I Missing Something?
I think his rationale is perfectly sound, but it would be good if he put that rationale in the listing. Otherwise people think he's just being a t*sser.

He may well take 250 quid (or whatever) - but psychologically you probably are more likely to bid and think you are getting a deal if its got a higher upper "price" even though its actually irrelevant?

I prefer selling things as buy it now "with offer" so people can actually purchase something rather than waiting 10 days for an auction to end. But it does change the dynamic from seller to buyer about what the thing is worth.
It seems daft to me, verging on exploitative. If I see a price like that I just filter out the item entirely. I suspect many others do the same.
I think it may be too expensive but, with selling it's hard to go up on the price but easy to come down...
Remember that 1923 chassis that was on eBay recently? It failed to sell at £6,000 or thereabouts, it was then relisted at £9,500 and the listing was withdrawn as 'no longer available' two days later ... Who knows what it actually went for, but probably rather more than the original listing!
I think what he really means to say is that with luck some mug might come along who has no clue what it's worth then he'll gleefully relieve him of 10 times its value. 'Caveat emptor' no doubt, but it's only just this side of fraud in my humble opinion.
Human nature being what it is, unfortunately this sort of thing has always gone on, and always will. I am in no way condoning the ridiculous asking price, but at least the vendor has described the item in meticulous detail and presumably openly and honestly.

If any idiot even considers making an offer anywhere near the price, then so be it. A fool and his money ..........   Some might even argue that being a bit soft in the head is a pre-requisite for owning an Austin Seven in the first place!