The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hinges – help please!

I wonder if anyone knows what type of hinge this is and where I can find a replacement?
 It is off the  rear luggage hatch and one has broken.
Appreciate any help.
David B
I don't know a source David but it looks like a thing which could be repaired with a bit of ingenuity? I had a similar problem when rebuilding an 1880's camera and ended up making new hinges from bits of brass, mostly sourced from the local model shop. There are people selling bits of bar, strip and rod on eBay.
(21-05-2018, 12:08 PM)DavidB Wrote: I wonder if anyone knows what type of hinge this is and where I can find a replacement?
 It is off the  rear luggage hatch and one has broken.
Appreciate any help.
David B

I think that ChrisKC is right.

I've used all sorts of weird hinges over the years, but I've never seen anything quite like that.  It looks as though it lifts and swings at the same time. The nearest that I can think of is something like this:  https://www.ibmhcorp.com/EN/Import-Purch...components , but I don't think that they'd do the same job.  In any case, I don't like the look of the sweatshop conditions of the "factory" they're made in!
It looks like a type of SOSS hinge?
You find them on various tables and cabinets.

I think Hafele, amongst others, do them.

I won't be around for a month, so cannot look them up for you.

Googling around "cabinet/ folding table hinges" should get them eventually.

Simon
Depending upon where it is broken I'd expect you should be able to repair it with silver solder. Even worn parts can be replicated and fitted if you cannot find a replacement.
I think it looks like a mitred hinge to me.
As Simon suggested, try someone like Hafele ironmongery and put in "mitred hinge".
I had to follow that through! Fascinating application.
The type shown in Martin Prior'S link I believe are sometimes referred to as barrel hinges.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.