The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Platts parts catalogue
is it still available as a new reprint? 

I think the Cornwall site mentions John Barker, but I seem to remember seeing it on one of the clubs booklists.
From the Cornwall Club site:

"Originally produced by John Platts when he established The Austin Seven Centre Ltd in Bristol. It is an illustrated parts list with original; parts numbers; but not a workshop manual more a dictionary of bits. It has now been reproduced with a blue cover and is available from J Barker, 43 Bowes Rd, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey KT12 3HU at £10.00 plus p&p UK £1.99; Europe £2.45 and rest of world £5.55"
I have an original and a repro, I don't know if its true but I was told that the illustrations cost so much to do it closed the business down, which was a shame as except for them and Kirby Wisk there weren't many other suppliers, I cannot recall if the original 7 Workshop were up and running then.
The Seven Workshop predated The Austin Seven Centre by at least a decade.
(20-05-2018, 05:25 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The Seven Workshop pre-dated The Austin Seven Centre by at least a decade.

It certainly did. 

Steve
(20-05-2018, 12:48 PM)JonE Wrote: is it still available as a new reprint? 

I think the Cornwall site mentions John Barker, but I seem to remember seeing it on one of the clubs booklists.

Yesterday I paid a visit to the A7CA Archive Open Day at Lubenham, among the vast amount of A7 related books was an original copy of John Platts Parts Book also an early copy of Austin 7 Services (Kirby Wisk). The Archive is well worth a visit,look out for the next open day.
Bill Dixon
With the RK Saloon that I brought from California there came:
A copy of "The Fifth Edition - temporary extension" of the Seven Workshop Catalogue
A copy of the September 1991 Seven Workshop price list ( to be used in conjunction with our 5th edition catalogue).
Austin Seven Service (Kirby Wiske) Spares List for Austin Sevens ALL MODELS No 91A. Undated, printed in red.
A note (undated) recommending Holmesdale Sevens (Herstmonceux) for "hard to find parts" (AW (Tony) Leslie.

And a few invoices!
I still have John Platts catalogues from when Dad and I used to drive to Bristol and buy stuff from him in the late 1970,s
I am sure the Seven Workshop was going in the 1960,s My Dad was buying from them in the early 1970,s
(22-05-2018, 10:44 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I still have John Platts catalogues from when Dad and I used to drive to Bristol and buy stuff from him in the late 1970,s
I am sure the Seven Workshop was going in the 1960,s My Dad was buying from them in the early 1970,s
Following on from Nigel's comment, that may not be the cause of the company's demise, as I heard somewhere in the past that the artist was never paid for his elaborate and magnificent work.  If true, could be the answer, if untrue my apologies for repeating hearsay.   Cheers,  Biill in Oz
For information, I messaged John Barker through ebay and he said that he hasn't done a further new run as the return was so low, so I infer that the repro ones are not still available new from him.

That said, there is one on ebay auction now from him that is classed as new and starting at 9.99, so it might be that the last few are just setting their own price. He no longer sells except on ebay.