The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 speed ratios
I've now got a spare standard gearbox to learn to overhaul, and thought it might be good to create a different gear set.

Who are the suppliers of the gear pairs to enable something like an Ulster ratio, and is there anything else (other than simple part replacement through wear) that needs consideration?

thanks
I believe Andrew Bird does gear sets and conversions, Tony Better has had sets in the past. Andrew's website is http://austinsevengearboxservices.co.uk
The Ulster ratios affect both 1st and 2nd gear and would normally be used with a low axle ratio. With a 4.9 back axle and especially if it's a saloon body it means 1st gear that may be much too high. That would make steep hills where 1st is needed and also starting off on a gradient problematic.
I have Andrew Bird's 'Andes' gears with a higher ratio 2nd in my RK saloon which work very well here in the Scottish Borders and allow 40mph in 2nd gear. Excellent in traffic and on the long but not very steep hills of the Borders. However where the hills are steeper there is a wider gap between 1st & 2nd which means that on steeper hills 1st is needed much sooner. This affects the car on the steep hills in the Yorkshire Dales on Malcolm Parker's outings. I spent more time going slowly in 1st where cars with standard ratios would be going faster in 2nd. In The Borders I find I can climb hills at 30mph that would reduce the standard gearbox to 20-25mph.
Another advantage of the Andes gears is that the dog for top is modified to make changes into top much faster, also very useful on hills.
Jim
Thanks both. This is on the Speedex pages.... seems an economy way to go as you can use existing gearbox parts?
Has anyone done it? (Fortunately my floor panels are somewhat removeable so I think I'll be able to remove gearbox from inside and car... so don't need to worry about whether it will work or not)

Rolt fake Ulster
16-26
(Using a pair of first gears)
1.48 2nd
2.64 1st
Jon, I wish you all good look in your endeavour. If by any chance it should end up with you having a spare set of 3-speed gear selectors I have an otherwise complete box which would be delighted to receive them!
Jon, I wish you all good look in your endeavour. If by any chance it should end up with you having a spare set of 3-speed gear selectors I have an otherwise complete box which would be delighted to receive them!