The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shells or white metal
Good evening all,

Can someone please tell me when shell bearings for big ends came in. My engine no is 
M278745 and I should like to know whether it’s a late enough engine to be fitted with shells.

Thanks,
Charles
According to the A7 Companion, shell bearings were fitted from engine no 268659 in March 1937.  

(However, my engine M289617 has non-original white metal bearings following an engine rebuild sometime in the distant past - so engine number may not reflect what is in there.)

Colin
(17-05-2018, 06:51 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: According to the A7 Companion, shell bearings were fitted from engine no 268659 in March 1937.  

(However, my engine M289617 has non-original white metal bearings following an engine rebuild sometime in the distant past - so engine number may not reflect what is in there.)

Colin

Thanks Colin, that’s helpful.

I will now drop the sump etc later this year and have a look see. I have a feeling that one of the big ends is trying to draw attention to itself. I normally take the engine out for any work but replacing shells from below shouldn’t be too difficult.
Ref the other thread on SU versus Zenith — I have a one inch SU fitted and reckon it’s a lot better than the original carb. ( D3 needle) Climbing the hills around here is easier ( ok they’re not proper hills) and getting to 50 mph and sustaining that is no problem.

Charles
Yes, I managed to take out and later refit a remetalled No 3 con rod without removing the engine.  However, I think I was lucky that the crank journal was serviceable - hardly marked and within the (couple of thou?) ovality limit.  (Getting a series of accurate micrometer measurements upsidedown in the confines of the crankcase took a bit of practice.)

Colin
(17-05-2018, 07:40 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Yes, I managed to take out and later refit a remetalled No 3 con rod without removing the engine.  However, I think I was lucky that the crank journal was serviceable - hardly marked and within the (couple of thou?) ovality limit.  (Getting a series of accurate micrometer measurements upsidedown in the confines of the crankcase took a bit of practice.)

Colin

That’s a good point  — I’m rather hoping that the wear is taken by the shells rather than the journal, which I believe to be the case normally.

Charles
I've changed both big end and centre main shells from underneath, it's quite do-able so long as no damage on crankpins needs rectifying. Not much to lose though - in that case you still have to take the engine out but it's drained and the sump's off already.
Could I ask whether shell bearing conrods are any use for retrofitting on earlier 2 bearing 1 5/16" engines?
They aren’t really interchangeable. I’m not saying it’s never been done but 3brg rods are offset slightly to compensate for the different big end journal spacing. ( needed to get the centre bearing in)
Alan Fairless
(17-05-2018, 07:14 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(17-05-2018, 06:51 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: According to the A7 Companion, shell bearings were fitted from engine no 268659 in March 1937.  

Colin

Thanks Colin, that’s helpful.

I will now drop the sump etc later this year and have a look see. I have a feeling that one of the big ends is trying to draw attention to itself. I normally take the engine out for any work but replacing shells from below shouldn’t be too difficult.
Ref the other thread on SU versus Zenith — I have a one inch SU fitted and reckon it’s a lot better than the original carb. ( D3 needle) Climbing the hills around here is easier ( ok they’re not proper hills) and getting to 50 mph and sustaining that is no problem.

Charles
Yes, it's quite possible to change the shells from below. I did it once on the rally field at Beaulieu. I was camping so I drained the oil into the washing up bowl, and used the frying pan for all the nuts and bolts (none lost in the grass), checked what size shells I needed and found the right ones on a stall, then put it all together again, and drove back to Cambridge in the evening.