The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
H1 SU versus Ruby Zenith sidedraft
I think the 1" is the OM...
The carbs carry little or no designation so the type is a  mystery to most . I am not sure but understand the H alone is 1 inch., the diameter at the output. H2 is 1 2/8. Earlier without oil dashpot were OM etc but I dunno the exact distinctions.
Some early had horizontal mount holes and fitted directly.
For what it's worth we fitted a 1 1/8" to Dad's 1930 Triumph Super 7 in place of the old updraft Zenith and it made a world of difference. The car is now useable in modem traffic, much more get-up-and-go.

In fairness the Zenith was pretty worn, so I modified a damaged spare updraft manifold with a flange to take the side draught SU, the original manifold and Zenith is in the Triumph spares for the next custodian after I pop my clogs

Car starts on the button, is smooth and progressive right throughout the rev range and the pick up in power is markedly improved. It runs a high ratio diff and close ratio 3 speed box, so pull away was always a fiddle with the Zenith. It's a joy to drive and we are no longer a mobile chicane on the roads.

We run a pair of 1 1/8" SU's on the A7 race car with a balance pipe between them, engine reeves freely to 6 grand where I chicken out. I'm a big fan of SU's despite all my Alfa's running either Webers or Solexes

Aye
Greig
(17-05-2018, 04:51 PM)JonE Wrote:
(17-05-2018, 12:09 PM)Chris KC Wrote: For me the big advantage of an SU is once set up you can forget about it. Mine came from a jumble sale for £1, was cleaned up with paraffin and went on the car.  Thus I must say £250 sounds an awful lot to me.
Chris, I'm happy to pay a quid commission too if you manage to find another one....

I picked up a 1 1/4" HS2 at Beaulieu yesterday - it's old enough to have a brass dashpot top and needs a bath in WD40, but recoverable I think. Together with a 4-speed A7 gearbox top / gear lever set me back £15. Inflation!
There are two 1" SU types commonly available, the OM, which has a round air intake and no intake flange and the UBA, which has an intake flange suitable for an air filter. UBA's have a vertical mounting arrangement, so need an adapter to mount onto an A7 manifold. They were standard on late Morris Minor and early Morris 8 models but may have been fitted to other, less common vehicles.
OM's are more variable and some have a horizontal mounting and bolt directly onto an A7 manifold.
Fitting an SU to an early car is a bit of a challenge, requiring a special inlet manifold. I have a UBA on my mag engine Chummy, using a manifold fabricated from 28mm plumbing fittings! It just about allows the SU to fit in and close the bonnet. However, I have obtained a Derrington aluminium manifold, which gains about an inch over my creation. Sadly, it is cracked and probably only suitable as a pattern. I may see about getting some reproductions cast.........

.jpeg   F4B20BB9-1B31-415C-88E7-5E5AE31485FB.jpeg (Size: 143.4 KB / Downloads: 154)

Just picked up an OM in good nick on E-xxx
For £25, very neat fit on a Ruby manifold.

There was another one for £35 listed

No adapter needed with this version.

Seems AN is the needle to go for?
I have a steel crank, slipper pistons,
But so far am planning to use standard
Cam and followers. Any practical advice appreciated
As I’ve never built an Austin 7 engine before.
It’s an 1 1/8” two bearing coil engine.

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
is it still there, Bill? trying to find these things is all down to what words one searches on!
AN needle is what I use. I have also dabbled with a GG..

AN is a good place to start...
Hi JonE
There’s another on E-.... for £169 or offer just now but it has the flanges that need an adaptor and an aircleaner
Add Classic to the search terms I gave you,

Bill

Hi High thanks for the needle tip:-)

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Adaptors to the inlet manifold used to be available from usual sources but if not they are easily enough fabricated. Wouldn't worry too much about the air cleaner.