The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports bodies for a special or replica or travesty (depending on your point of view)
Hello All,

I'm now within sight of the point when I will need a body for my special - well, probably a year away, but what with lead times, etc, it's probably the right time to decide what I'm going to do.

I think I'm right to say that I have a chassis (1932 LWB) for which there is no "original" sports body style, 1932 being the gap between the last of the 'Ulsters' and the fist of the '65s' (or tell me if I'm wrong about that).

Over the years I've been tinkering, I've had a number of ideas for what I might do, and my preferences keep changing!  However, I do need to work within certain constraints.  First, I'm not going to attempt to make anything myself.  There are only so many skills one can gather in one's life, and that's a big one to attempt; and I want something that looks good.  Second, my budget will not run to a completely bespoke body - I need to find something that's already out there, somewhere.  I see three basic options, and I would be very interested to hear what views colleagues have on the matter (and what bodies you may have hidden in your sheds...)

1. The obvious choice, and one to which I keep returning, is a LWB version of the Ulster, of the type produced by Rod Yates.  These seem to be proven, popular, good value, and actually quite desirable when complete (if some of the asking pries one sees are to be believed).

2. However, I'm beginning to err towards the suggestion that a more "correct" choice for a LWB chassis would be an aluminium Nippy/65 body.  But as far as I've been able to find out, no-one is 'producing' these (in the Yates sense of 'production') and a bespoke one would be beyond my means.  A second hand 65 body came up at auction a few years ago (so Mr Google tells me), but another one being available seems a remote possibility, unless someone can tell me differently.

3. A body which is not based on a production Austin body at all.  I was taken by the vaguely GE Brooklandsesque body on the 7 County Austins website a few months ago (.JPG]http://www.7ca.co.uk/HPIM3245[1].JPG ).  An LWB Brooklands?! (I hear some people exclaim).   Or perhaps a 50s-style Cambridge body?

I know many people have many views on this subject.  If you would like to share any of them, I would be grateful.  I should say, I have both straight and bent axles I could fit, and standard and lowered steering boxes, insofar as those might be  influencing factors. 

Thanks!

Urgent
Unless you were planning on doing any trialing I'd fit the low sports axle. It looks better with the sports type bodies. Of course, if you've got a delicate spine you might want to think otherwise!
As far as period correctness goes I'd just say hang it and go for what YOU like most, wherever possible. It's only problematic when people claim it's "genuine".

(13-05-2018, 08:00 PM)Dave Prior Wrote: Unless you were planning on doing any trialing I'd fit the low sports axle. It looks better with the sports type bodies. Of course, if you've got a delicate spine you might want to think otherwise!
As far as period correctness goes I'd just say hang it and go for what YOU like most, wherever possible. It's only problematic when people claim it's "genuine".

With high asking prices on specials it's also worth asking how much money the builder/owner actually put into the car. With hyper-accurate Ulsteroids people are probably making the tiniest of profits, if not a loss.
If you want to replicate a 1932 sports body style, how about the AEW Foursome? It has the advantage of using the tall standard radiator shell, and no complicated door structure:

[Image: 158_05_11_17_3_52_18.jpeg]

Or there's the Arrow 4-seater (with doors!):

The Arrow body is in my opinion the more attractive and in special form could be built with or without doors, they were Ash framed so possibly a project for Messrs Prior?
Black Art Enthusiast
(13-05-2018, 09:05 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: The Arrow body is in my opinion the more attractive and in special form could be built with or without doors, they were Ash framed so possibly a project for Messrs Prior?

Thanks, Ian.  Dave may have been a bit too modest on this one!  We'd be happy to discuss possibilities - "Urgent", please PM me if you'd like to have a chat about this
Hi urgent.

Choices choices.

Probable won of the most difficult, and you have obviously put plenty of thought in already.

First the LWB ulster, im sure many will say not another one. But in many ways they do make good sense. And you have already pointed all of them out. If you have the finances, with resale prices being high. It allows you to put more into the fine touches, dials etc. Without spending double what the car is worth when finished.

Second choice, a body out of someone's old shed. Personally (my opinion only) I wouldn't. Although a cheap option, its unlikely to be the look you really want. 

Choice 3 You could ask rod yates about his trophy body, he has only made 4 so far, so quite exclusive. Although the last time I spoke to rod, he wasn't looking to make any more. So you would have to talk him round. The two that have sold so far, both sold for £20k each. So plenty of excuses to put some nice expencive extras in.

Choice 4, sorry I don't do the brooklands anymore, only for the reason people didn't like the price. But if you are interested. The are made in Holland, by bas yansen. At corrosibouw yansen.

Choice 5, if a nippy body comes up? Very expensive to get all the correct parts. And it will never be an original.

Choice 6, may be good if you like the nippy. I noticed some years ago there was a body manufactur company in Peterborough I think. Making a nippy ' TYPE ' or style body. It wasn't cheap. But as it's not a total replica, it leaves a lot of input by yourself to build as a high quality special. I've never seen one built. So very exclusive as well.

Sorry for the lengthy answer, but i hope it opens up some choices for you. Tony
IMHO an LWB 'Ulster' will never feel quite right. Compound Curvatures still make them btw (I think).

I believe Chris Gould still makes his 'Imp'?

A discarded Nippy/ 65 body is likely to be in need of major work.

Various 50's/60's specials around, a matter of taste more than anything but few I think are as practical as an original.
I can assure you Urgent that a 65 body will need lots of work!
If it was as rotten as mine it would be far cheaper to make and fit a new body.

I'm not complaining at the cost (although I'd take much longer looking for a good vehicle to start with if I did it again) as good work takes time and lots of money and bodging on the cheap doesn't really help anyone long term
What about a Roach body? The simplest they do is the mg body type.
Cheers,
Dave
(13-05-2018, 07:38 PM)Urgent Austin Wrote: Hello All,

I'm now within sight of the point when I will need a body for my special - well, probably a year away, but what with lead times, etc, it's probably the right time to decide what I'm going to do.

I think I'm right to say that I have a chassis (1932 LWB) for which there is no "original" sports body style, 1932 being the gap between the last of the 'Ulsters' and the fist of the '65s' (or tell me if I'm wrong about that).

Over the years I've been tinkering, I've had a number of ideas for what I might do, and my preferences keep changing!  However, I do need to work within certain constraints.  First, I'm not going to attempt to make anything myself.  There are only so many skills one can gather in one's life, and that's a big one to attempt; and I want something that looks good.  Second, my budget will not run to a completely bespoke body - I need to find something that's already out there, somewhere.  I see three basic options, and I would be very interested to hear what views colleagues have on the matter (and what bodies you may have hidden in your sheds...)

1. The obvious choice, and one to which I keep returning, is a LWB version of the Ulster, of the type produced by Rod Yates.  These seem to be proven, popular, good value, and actually quite desirable when complete (if some of the asking pries one sees are to be believed).

2. However, I'm beginning to err towards the suggestion that a more "correct" choice for a LWB chassis would be an aluminium Nippy/65 body.  But as far as I've been able to find out, no-one is 'producing' these (in the Yates sense of 'production') and a bespoke one would be beyond my means.  A second hand 65 body came up at auction a few years ago (so Mr Google tells me), but another one being available seems a remote possibility, unless someone can tell me differently.

3. A body which is not based on a production Austin body at all.  I was taken by the vaguely GE Brooklandsesque body on the 7 County Austins website a few months ago (.JPG]http://www.7ca.co.uk/HPIM3245[1].JPG ).  An LWB Brooklands?! (I hear some people exclaim).   Or perhaps a 50s-style Cambridge body?

I know many people have many views on this subject.  If you would like to share any of them, I would be grateful.  I should say, I have both straight and bent axles I could fit, and standard and lowered steering boxes, insofar as those might be  influencing factors. 

Thanks!

Urgent
If you go looking for Bas Jansen, use letter J on his name or you won't find him (sorry Tony). Another body you might think about is the RTC, which may actually be Roach I think. If you want a touring car an Ulsteroid has inconvenient luggage space. Ours has a fixed seat back so everything has to go through the spare wheel hole. We have found that travelling without a spare wheel and packing in plastic bags is the practical solution.
Robert Leigh
Robert Leigh