The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound deadening in an A7...
Angel Angel   The Queensland solution is ear defenders.

For deadening,  as Chris has said 'the heavier the better' my tractor uses self adhesive thin lead sheet and in a past life we used to install a laminated foam/lead sandwich inside engine covers on boats.
Roly, I worry about the noise levels for your remaining hearing, may be better to keep wearing em but turn them off.
Nick, carry a gramaphone , now there's an idea Huh              
      Russell
Factory soundproofing in Austin 10s was to attach sundela board covered in hessian to the bulkhead. Generally a bit tatty after 80 odd years absorbing oil!
(11-05-2018, 12:43 AM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: Factory soundproofing in Austin 10s was to attach sundela board covered in hessian to the bulkhead.  Generally a bit tatty after 80 odd years absorbing oil!

I assume sundela board  is another name for the product we called Nelson board which was a shredded leather and bitumen composite. Black and flexible, a bit too flexible when damp as seen in old door trims. This was commonly used on the inside firewalls of vintage cars, in association with a layer of jute felt/carpet underlay, up against the metal.  It would be held in place by a few sort of, long, soft, bifurcated rivets and the tangs folded over on the engine side. 
This is the method I used in my 29 Dodge, and I extended the job with underlay only glued to all inside surfaces of the cowl back to the doors. Some say that a sound deadening mat is also useful on the underside of the bonnet.  cheers  Russell
If you want a quieter ride in an A7, leave the wife at home.

(Just kidding. Honest)
I know Sundela as the soft "notice board" material made of shredded paper, but now am thinking its a brand and they must make (or made...) a variety of products.

(11-05-2018, 08:31 AM)DavidL Wrote: I know Sundela as the soft "notice board" material made of shredded paper, but now am thinking its a brand and they must make (or made...) a variety of products.

https://www.sundeala.co.uk/about-sundeala/

"Proudly manufactured in the UK since 1898".  The recycled paper notice boards since 1937.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/busi...deala.html
The stuff I have used is about 15mm thick brown felt with black on one side, fire resistant. Glued on cockpit side of bulkhead and under carpet. Bought from one of the automotive carpet suppliers(can't remember which but sure to be many on internet)
I drove to work at Brooklands numerous times back in the 80's in my Nippy with a gramophone playing on the passenger seat, quickly wound up again at traffic lights. There were far fewer potholes back then!
Thumbs Up 
that,s the spirit Chris, love it!
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/...-deadening
Did nearly get me in a spot of bother though - Nigel Coulter kindly invited me along to the local club night and I consumed one more beer than perhaps I ought. It was a lovely starry night and I pulled onto Pyrford Common on the way home and wound up Vera Lynn - "We Both Told a Lie" I think it was. At this point a patrol car pulled in next to me... The officers admired the car but didn't appear to notice her bald tyres, doubtful lighting or the general whiff of bitter! Too much paperwork to contemplate, no doubt...