The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
armstrong alert

En route to an event on Saturday morning had a flat tyre. This turns out not to be a puncture from an invading item, but the inner wall of the tyre abrading the inner tube. This is the second time this has happened to me with an Armstrong tyre. A few years ago the 19" world had lots of choice, notably the Avon Sidecar tyre, acceptable to VSCC scrutes, but for 17" Ruby wheels much more limited range. Fortunately the Longstone 17" is available, and I will be raiding the pocket money tin to replace not only the condemned Armstrong, but the two others as I no longer trust them no matter how much tread is still visible.
I would have thought the damage was done when the tyre was flat by the rim "pinching" the tyre ? It would be interesting to ask Longstone what may have caused it.
Howard Annett does 400x17 at a very good price his number is 07860 370307 he also does the inner tubes and tapes
I have certainly encountered this problem with more modern (sixties) classics. Many of the tyres sold today are designed to run tubeless and if fitted with tubes will abrade a hole fairly quickly.
(09-05-2018, 04:56 PM)bob46320 Wrote: I would have thought the damage was done when the tyre was flat by the rim "pinching" the tyre ?  It would be interesting to ask Longstone what may have caused it.

The increasingly wobbly rear end warned me about deflation long before it was flat enough to be running on the rim, the inner tube showed clearly where the rubbing  had been happening for some time.
Taking the condemned Armstrong to show the Longstone boys would probably provoke "What caused it? Not very cheap but rather nasty imported tyre, sir. Replace it with one of ours right away!"