The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grease on head gasket?
I'm sure that this is asked on a regular basis but I haven't been able to find it using the search option I'm afraid.
So, when fitting a new head gasket should I grease it as advised in the Woodrow manual please?
Many thanks for any replies
Graham.
I always have and I'm pretty sure it's done no harm. I like to think it helps the gasket settle down evenly under tightening and provides a token barrier against water seepage when the engine is first filled.
(08-05-2018, 08:35 PM)Graham Honnor Wrote: I'm sure that this is asked on a regular basis but I haven't been able to find it using the search option I'm afraid.
So, when fitting a new head gasket should I grease it as advised in the Woodrow manual please?
Many thanks for any replies
Graham.
Graham,  I have grease on copper/asbestos head gaskets for about 40 years it does work. Soak the gasket in water over night. I have not tried with modern gaskets, may be someone will report if it works with the modern replacements.
I use Copperslip.
How well have you found the modern non asbestos gaskets seal around waterways? Maybe its just me but I have noticed a tendency for them to leak, something which appears to be a relatively new phenomenon, I now use Hylomar spray to prevent this.
Black Art Enthusiast
Greasing was a common recommendation in the 1960s and I always have. However did not seem appropriate for varnish coated gaskets as many were.
The main thing is that the grease is the merest film. I have had engines apart where thick grease has formed indents in the gasket!
Many thanks for all your replies.
I will certainly use a smear on both sides on re-assembly.
Ruairidh, may I ask if you use copperslip for ease of removing the head 
at a later date or for some other reason please?
Hi Graham,

I use it to help with future removal - I apply it to the studs (not on the threads) for the same reason. Hope this helps.
Excellent call, I will definitely do the studs.
Many thanks again.