The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliability from new
Sorting through some old 1940s magazines recently I found several letters from delighted Seven owners. Obviously Austin had a vested interest in choosing the most favourable correspondence, even so they do remind us how durable the cars could be. One wonders what Mr Leaper did to deserve such a generous petrol ration:

As with many owners who do not do the manual work themselves I suspect much has been overlooked. Decokes are mentioned but not valve grinds. And kingpins would never last 74,000. I have a complete record of my RP since 40,000 miles in 1940, at which it had been fitted with a rebuilt exchange engine, to 110,000 in early 60s (after which many parts interchanged). Work included pinion bearing, kingpins more than once, axle eyes, several main bearings, steering arm, brake cams and pivots, gearbox bearings, clutch for oil etc.. Much not untypical of most light cars of the time.
The rate of cyl wear seems high today but typical on oils and running of the time. (My 1960s 1600cc Brit car this worn at 170,000 miles and moderns on the better oils less still). Driving on the brakes preferable to screaming down changes.
Impressive for an engine without an oil filter.
I was talking to my mother about this the other day, and she produced a little notebook kept by her mother, showing what she says is every penny spent by my grandparents on their Ruby from June 1954 to July 1960.  My grandfather put £1 a week into a kitty, which was disbursed by my grandmother (who was a book-keeper by training).  I'm working on getting it all into a spreadsheet, but there's rather a lot of entries to copy, right down to 3 x 1/4 whitworth bolts (9d), a pedal rubber (1'9d), and 2 fuses (6d).  When I've done it I'll share some stats.  In the meantime here are a few highlights.

Grandad always used "best" petrol, latterly BP super, together with something abbreviated to "V.C.", which i assume was probably a Redex equivalent.  

Regrettably, the mileage is only recorded occasionally.  In know it was "low" when the car was purchased in as-new condition in 1954, and was over 83,000 when they sold the car.  Mother can remember is was still very shiny, but often needed a push to make it start by that stage in its career...

The car spent those years living in Cromer, always garaged, and took a family of five on some epic tours (passenger luggage in advance).  One such, recorded in the book in September 1958:

Llandudno Trip
1291 miles
26 gals (petrol)
13 pints (oil)

That's 50 mpg - not bad.  Most of that was done at 35mph - except when going downhill when my grandfather was a fan of coasting on the clutch.

Another Llandudno trip records:

Left Bwlch Fm Llandudno 7.25am 83,724 (miles)
Arr Cromer 7.30pm 83,997 (miles)

And there I am worrying about getting from Ipswich to Beaulieu and taking two days over it!

The car is listed as still around (still in Norfolk), but I don't think it's been on the road since the 60s.  I was in touch with now (then) owner some years ago, and he was hoping to restore it one day.

Urgent Austin
These records are a lovely piece of history. I look forward to seeing your little book if you are ever able to share it. The very fact that someone was prepared to write it all down says something about the care we took over our possessions in those days - and perhaps the limited finances too.

My own father wrote down all his expenditure on our Ruby in the 1950s, but no journey details unfortunately. Inner tubes seemed to receive a great deal of attention!

Peter.
I am fortunate to have a detailed history of my '28 saloon from new. The third owner kept a very detailed log of work to the car from March '51 to June '64 which make interesting reading. I also have a very detailed hand written account of an accident in October 1957 when the car was hit in the side by a van driven by a farmer. The owner's wife was driving at the time with her three year old son who was thrown to the floor covered in broken glass - but without injury, fortunately. The car ended up in a front garden. The ongoing saga with insurers and solicitors also makes for good reading!
The repairs to the car are still evident in that the work to the front n/s was not quite correctly done by the garage - Chamberlin and Sons, Aylesbury.

Chris
Chris,

Your story would be interesting to hear in full.

It sounds familiar. Was your car owned by a 750 member in the Luton area in the 1980s /90s? If so the owner told the story of the accident at a club night once and, astonishingly, a gentleman in the audience put his hand up and said he remembered it, having passed by just a few minutes after it had happened!

Peter.