The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlight Bulb
(05-05-2018, 05:49 PM)MartinH Wrote: Try JB Vintage Spares. Is that your bulb first on this page?

http://www.jbvintagespares.co.uk/shop/45...ight-bulbs

It seems to be will give them a call. thanks

(05-05-2018, 10:05 PM)Timothy P Wrote: Keeping it in the Seven family, they are available from our cherished suppliers.
David (A7 Components) has 24/24W BG923 HERE, or Seven Workshop have 35/35W HERE

I have emailed them and awaiting a reply. thanks.
Another option may be 35/35W Halogens which are available from a few sources, should give a brighter light with no extra draw. (the bulb glass shape isn't quite so nice as the regular filaments, but looks a lot better than an LED)
Dad seems to recall seeing them on A7 Components stall at Beaulieu last year, but if not, then here are a couple of other sources...
Part No. B635BA15QH
Part No. 170H
Holden

Or the lower wattages may prove acceptable in halogen (I have not tried so cannot really recommend either way)
24/24W Halogen available here part no 130908
25/25W Halogen Part No. B625BA15QH

Having tried a number of different LEDs in scuttle headlights, without what we'd call a good result, I'm thinking of giving these options a try (not decided which yet) (accepting that the battery will be in discharge).
Although my RN is 12v, I have had 36w/36w double dip halogen bulbs in the original reflectors for the last 15 years. They provide a good beam of light. I removed the old Lucas Graves bulbholder and replaced with a 15 mm bulb adaptor, making it adjustable by soldering on to the reflector a brass collar with a 4BA tapping to accept a grub screw. You can then move the bulb in and out to achieve the optimum beams for dip and main. No reason why you can’t do this with 6v halogens. If you aren’t driving hundreds of miles in one night as others have said a battery in good nick will be fine. The original Lucas Graves bulbs were larger dia brass caps. I think they were Bosch fittings. My reflectors were resilvered ( NOT nickel or chrome!)
(05-05-2018, 09:59 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Good evening Alfie.
I am interested in the type of headlamps fitted to your RN. Currently I am preparing a series of articles on A7 lighting and I have found that the early RN's had Lucas R47's fitted with 'Lucas Graves' double filament dipping headlamp bulbs later being changes to the Lucas type 35/32 still fitted with the 'Lucas-Graves' bulbs and both with 'reeded' glasses.
These bulbs are still available but are more usually known as 'Bosch' bulbs. They have a larger diameter metal body and small and larger rectangular lugs (unlike the round pins normally fitted to bulbs), the purpose of these lugs is to ensure that the bulbs are inserted the correct way up to give the dip/main orientation.
The bulbs that have been identified as available would fit the 'scuttle' lamps (raised in an earlier posting) although there is no facility for focussing them.

Regards from Staffordshire - the creative county.

Stuart

Stuart,

I look forward to your articles on the Austin Seven lighting.

As I wrote in an earlier posting -

The Lucas SM 3 panel has 'H'ead and 'S'ide headlamp switch position, which I believe uses the two wires running to each Lucas Headlamp R510, which is fitted with a single two filament two pin bulb- I presently use 6 volt BA15d 18W 5W Stop and Tail (probably should use BA15d 21W 6W).
  The Lucas SM5  panel also has 'H'ead and 'S'ide beam switch position which connects the two wires to two separate bulbs in the Lucas Headlamp R47 - I use 6 volt BA15s 21W and BA15s 6W bulbs. The main bulb has a three position seating but as mentioned, with present bulbs this doesn't seem to help very much with focus.

The early CAV etcetera headlamps didn't have a high and low beam - only full on or dim (later full on or sidelight).
  The earlier wiring diagrams showing the CAV switch panel are deceptive - the circuit from the dynamo only shows a single line but there are in fact two end wires shown, as with the headlamp circuit, so I believe there are in fact two wires to each headlamp.
  The CAV switch panel has a headlamp switch and a dim switch but never having studied one don't know how this operates. 
  The Lucas SM3 switch panel simply switches feed between the main and secondary filament in the bulb.   

Cheers, Tony.
(07-05-2018, 02:01 AM)Tony Press Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 09:59 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Good evening Alfie.
I am interested in the type of headlamps fitted to your RN. Currently I am preparing a series of articles on A7 lighting and I have found that the early RN's had Lucas R47's fitted with 'Lucas Graves' double filament dipping headlamp bulbs later being changes to the Lucas type 35/32 still fitted with the 'Lucas-Graves' bulbs and both with 'reeded' glasses.
These bulbs are still available but are more usually known as 'Bosch' bulbs. They have a larger diameter metal body and small and larger rectangular lugs (unlike the round pins normally fitted to bulbs), the purpose of these lugs is to ensure that the bulbs are inserted the correct way up to give the dip/main orientation.
The bulbs that have been identified as available would fit the 'scuttle' lamps (raised in an earlier posting) although there is no facility for focussing them.

Can't get the 'add attachment to work so no photo.

Regards from Staffordshire - the creative county.

Stuart

Stuart,

I look forward to your articles on the Austin Seven lighting.

As I wrote in an earlier posting -

The Lucas SM 3 panel has 'H'ead and 'S'ide headlamp switch position, which I believe uses the two wires running to each Lucas Headlamp R510, which is fitted with a single two filament two pin bulb- I presently use 6 volt BA15d 18W 5W Stop and Tail (probably should use BA15d 21W 6W).
  The Lucas SM5  panel also has 'H'ead and 'S'ide beam switch position which connects the two wires to two separate bulbs in the Lucas Headlamp R47 - I use 6 volt BA15s 21W and BA15s 6W bulbs. The main bulb has a three position seating but as mentioned, with present bulbs this doesn't seem to help very much with focus.

The early CAV etcetera headlamps didn't have a high and low beam - only full on or dim (later full on or sidelight).
  The earlier wiring diagrams showing the CAV switch panel are deceptive - the circuit from the dynamo only shows a single line but there are in fact two end wires shown, as with the headlamp circuit, so I believe there are in fact two wires to each headlamp.
  The CAV switch panel has a headlamp switch and a dim switch but never having studied one don't know how this operates. 
  The Lucas SM3 switch panel simply switches feed between the main and secondary filament in the bulb.   

Cheers, Tony.

Good morning all. Reference to one of my earlier posts I must have been having a 'senior moment' when I said that R47 reflectors did not have the facility to focus the bulb. Of course they do and I have attempted to post a photo which shows this and my solution to obtaining a good earth. I use a 15mm fuel pipe clip which has the facility to add a cable 'eyelet' under the screw head.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire.

Stuart

Posting photos. Can't get the attachments facility to work. No blue header that says 'add attachment'. 'Clear' 'Add attachment' button does not bring up 'new attachment' nor 'choose file'.

Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart
Hello Stuart,
Sorry you're having trouble adding photos. I'll try to help if I can.
Am I right in saying when you click 'New Reply' the page you get to does not appear like this? (I have scrolled down to get all of that)

If so what device are you using (PC, Mac, tablet, phone etc)?
In the meantime I will check to make sure your profile hasn't inadvertently been restricted for some reason.
All the best,
Timothy
You cannot use the quick reply underneath - where you'd expect to reply - to create a reply with photos.

You need to go up to top of thread and click black box top right of the posts on that view page?
Or, to save you scrolling up Jon, below the last post on that page on the right...

Hello Timothy. Pressing new reply does not open a dialogue box as highlighted by yourself. what I get is New attachment, Browse No file selected and Add attachment.
I have tried working through the instructions at the head of the postings, from the typing box there is no 'blue header' that says 'attachments'.
I am using Windows 7 on a desktop.

If you are able to perhaps you could telephone me tomorrow on 01785 850916 and you could talk me through it.

Regards

Stuart
Hello Stuart, very interesting, and you've prompted a discovery on my part. I thought that the way the forum displays would be same on any browser, but for some reason this turns out to be incorrect, and the buttons that appear on one browser are completely different on another. It does not seem at all logical to me, but hey ho maybe the people that build websites and browsers know something I don't.

I use Chrome, but have tested 'Edge'  (the win 10 version of internet explorer) and firefox, and these appear a bit more like you say with 'Browse' etc. On these I found Browse could be clicked to bring up the file explorer, though these may still be slightly different for me with Windows 10.
If clicking browse doesn't work and/or you're using a different browser, let me know which browser, I'll test that one and give you a ring.
Once we've got it worked out I'll change the guide to help others.