The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Tips
Wow! Austin Seven parts off the shelf in Tesco! Who'd have thought it  Big Grin
I used to use a matchbox to wedge the choke. 3 positions depending on which way round you have it.
Jim
similar solution to another problem, I use a household rubber door wedge to secure the Ruby door window UP as it wants to jiggle down. Probably also available at Tesco  Big Grin

Recently I needed to fit a new window lens to the cylindrical barrel of my tail light AT201.  I found the perfect milky opaque plastic could be cut from empty 3L milk containers, in this part of the world at least.  May be also available at Tesco.
is there any metal manufactured item which has a VERY small Austin logo? Might be fun do create some Austin-branded (literallly) wooden clothes pegs with aid of a blow torch...
I run my sat nav direct through a cigarette lighter fitting (with fuse) direct to the car's 6v battery. The best part is explaining, with tongue firmly in cheek, to youngsters about sat navs being an optional extra on 1930's Sevens. Incredulous looks of wonder are a real picture!.
Peter.
(09-05-2018, 08:08 AM)JonE Wrote: is there any metal manufactured item which has a VERY small Austin logo? Might be fun do create some Austin-branded (literallly) wooden clothes pegs with aid of a blow torch...
No idea of cost but this may interest you (from Eyre & Baxter):-

Wood Handstamps / Joiner's Stamps
Used for marking furniture, turned wood components, musical instruments, violin bridges, etc. these stamps are cut at a steeper angle than those used for marking metals so that they cut into the wood rather than crush it and produce a clear mark.

http://www.eyreandbaxter.co.uk/steel_han..._dies.html

Branding and other equipment is also available.
I think pressure stamping clothes pegs might be a hassle too far and not visible enough..? but branding... hmm.. wonder how many 2 quid branded clothes pegs one would need to break even?! It would be quite a laugh to do... but I wonder if copyrights would be a problem?!
I remember Jim Young also suggested this starting procedure if the car had not been out for a while:

1. Turn the engine over six times on the handle (12 x 1/2).
2. Ensure the carb is primed using the hand lever on the fuel pump.
3. Pull the choke full on (hold with clothes peg) and turn the engine over four more times (8 x 1/2).
4. Put on the ignition.
5. Should start next turn of the handle.

Seems to work well.

Colin
The first Austin Seven component I ever wrecked was the Aluminium camhaft fan belt drive pulley. Yes - I tried to pull it off directly with the inevitable result of the rim coming away and the boss firmly attached to the shaft.

A friend then suggested removing subsequent pulleys by placing a drift through the holes and tapping with a hammer to cause the item to rotate thus breaking the taper fit.
(Remember to slacken the nut that secures the pulley to the end of the camshaft beforehand).
I've been advocating this method for over 45 years but never seen it published although I expect the rest of you have Big Grin !

This is a great thread and lets have loads of tips.

Bob
(09-05-2018, 05:38 PM)Bob Kneale Wrote: The first Austin Seven component I ever wrecked was the Aluminium camhaft fan belt drive pulley. Yes - I tried to pull it off directly with the inevitable result of the rim coming away and the boss firmly attached to the shaft.

A friend then suggested removing subsequent pulleys by placing a drift through the holes and tapping with a hammer to cause the item to rotate thus breaking the taper fit.
(Remember to slacken the nut that secures the pulley to the end of the camshaft beforehand).
I've been advocating this method for over 45 years but never seen it published although I expect the rest of you have Big Grin !

This is a great thread and lets have loads of tips.

Bob

An even less aggressive way to move this pulley is to jam it with a piece of wood and wind the starting handle. I read this in Woodrow and was somewhat sceptical, but it worked perfectly.