The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Tips
Make sure the rear axle tapers are tight. I suspect there are many A7s rattling around on their key ways with a view to a broken half shaft.
If you come across woodworm and treat it, put a pencil circle round each hole - then you can see if there is any fresh activity next time you look.  The blighters can continue to emerge for some years - in the summer - and if two get together and lay eggs, then there could be a lot more trouble...

Colin
(06-05-2018, 07:32 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: True Ian they are quite weak. I have my own torque wrench ie. losing arm strength through getting old and weedy.
Cheers,
Dave.

And using the standard Austin Seven Wheel Brace should limit the torque!

Cheers, Tony.
Newcomers to an Austin Seven can be alarmed at the lack of pressure shown on the oil gauge! As a general rule-of-thumb, once the engine is fully warmed through - and that can easily be five to ten miles running - approximately 1psi per ten mph is about right (on a 2-bearing engine, perhaps slightly less, on a three-bearing engine maybe a bit more).
Yes, it can be alarming the first time stopped at traffic lights once the engine has thoroughly warmed up - with almost no pressure showing.  This is in stark contrast to start-up, when the pressure shoots off-scale and should stay there a while.  

Colin
(07-05-2018, 04:34 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: If you come across woodworm and treat it, put a pencil circle round each hole - then you can see if there is any fresh activity next time you look.  The blighters can continue to emerge for some years - in the summer - and if two get together and lay eggs, then there could be a lot more trouble...

Colin
I like to plug old woodworm holes with boot polish; then any new holes show very easily.
Robert Leigh
Do others use a standard wooden clothes peg to hold out the choke?  (This tip came from Jim Young of the PWA7C even before I had put my car on the road.)  The spring is a bit strong, so I have always use two - they look older than the car after years of use.  Not sure if they are available any more in this time of plastic - do any of the cherished suppliers carry them?
I thought everyone did, I assumed the peg was part of the original kit !
(08-05-2018, 04:55 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Do others use a standard wooden clothes peg to hold out the choke?  (This tip came from Jim Young of the PWA7C even before I had put my car on the road.)  The spring is a bit strong, so I have always use two - they look older than the car after years of use.  Not sure if they are available any more in this time of plastic - do any of the cherished suppliers carry them?

Not sure about the choke as I've only managed to get my car round the block so far, but I can confirm a standard wooden clothes peg is ideal for holding the cam followers clear when removing or installing the camshaft (with thanks to Ian Bancroft for the tip).
(08-05-2018, 04:55 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Not sure if they are available any more in this time of plastic - do any of the cherished suppliers carry them?

I don't about cherished suppliers but wooden ones are available at Tesco and other supermarkets:-

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/pr.../273772520