The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unidentified Part III
Does anyone know what this item is?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

An oil button, fitted to Chummy's and early saloons.
Black Art Enthusiast
(01-05-2018, 10:56 PM)CaptainBob Wrote: Does anyone know what this item is?

Yes !
(01-05-2018, 11:29 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 10:56 PM)CaptainBob Wrote: Does anyone know what this item is?

Yes !

Whilst Ian is correct,  when he says Early Sevens. the oil button shown is for a late-'28, '29, 30' etc  - whereas the really Early Sevens  (1923 to late '28) did not have a flange either side of the button, the bezel was circular.  Cheers,  Bill
And just to add a little more, the black button popped out a little when you had "some" oil pressure.
out of interest, is this later one less prone to the 'oil in your lap' thing which seems to be accounted in 750 Companion/tales of yore etc?
Not in my experience.

They can be repaired using the plastic wrapping used for bacon however - true!
The "official" material for the diaphragm was not bacon wrappers, but pig's bladder - so I suppose there is a connection there somewhere!

I have repaired mine successfully (no leak after 6,000 miles) using a few layers of thick(ish) poly bag.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
(02-05-2018, 11:51 AM)Rick F Wrote: The "official" material for the diaphragm was not bacon wrappers, but pig's bladder - so I suppose there is a connection there somewhere!

I have repaired mine successfully (no leak after 6,000 miles) using a few layers of thick(ish) poly bag.
Just to clear up my perhaps-confusing above post (for the pedants) - the late '28 cars  introduced  the '29 models, then all of 1929, then up to mid 1930 (from there the button type were replaced by a dial).  Forget the "etc".   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
And a further bit of possibly useful information: the bodies of the two types are identical and the bezels are interchangeable - they screw on and off.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk