The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster picture source
(30-04-2018, 04:00 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Bran-new watering can too, going by the glare off the galvi...
There must be someone out there who could photoshop the crease out of it and make a poster?

I'd imagine the photo originated in one of the pre-war motoring magazines as it looks to be of 'Press' quality - if so the original may now be part of the LAT Archive - Austin Harris may be able to advise on this.

Assuming the image is owned by LAT, on their website they do mention "We can offer these images, and more, as stunning artworks for your home. Let us know what you like and we will be in touch."

https://www.motorsportimages.com/brands/lat/
It's not an image I've seen before, that doesn't mean it's not in the LAT archive though. Best bet is to get in touch with them.

Sadly Classic & Sports Car and LAT are no longer owned by the same company so it may be a bit trickier to track down. Knowing the issue number of the magazine, (or at least the year / story etc) would really help.
Here is an un-cropped version, they are of Lawrence Clayton who was president of Brighton and Hove motor club and were discovered by Jim Wilkes in his Aunts loft, I will endeavour to see if Joss remembers which issue of the magazine these pages came from. I can also have a go at taking a better photo if Mike or anyone else  wants to have another try at photoshopping. 

Black Art Enthusiast
Ian, it would be good if you can scan the image; that way we will loose the 'perspective' effect. Meanwhile,  I have added the image to the Gallery.
I've made a polite enquiry to C & S C, will report if anything comes back.

The perspective (and barrel distortion) can be corrected easily enough in photoshop, but it really needs a sharper and higher resolution image to do much with it. I could do this easily if I had a copy of the mag - anyone?

Hard to know whether others have seen it- but I came across this little delight while searching:

Source: https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2018/04/a...is-online/

The driver is James Madison Carpenter of Mississippi who came to England in 1929 on a scholarship from Harvard, 'bought a car' and spent the next 6 years and 40,000 miles touring the British Isles collecting folk songs from retired performers, ex-mariners and the like. For the patient among us, the above site includes many of the disc and wax cylinder recordings he made on these travels!

.jpg   572f45a46cd6226f633b175012c0121d2381d99f.jpg (Size: 7.31 KB / Downloads: 348)
That looks like a Gordon England Stadium.
(01-05-2018, 08:44 AM)Chris KC Wrote: ...The perspective (and barrel distortion) can be corrected easily enough in photoshop, but it really needs a sharper and higher resolution image to do much with it...
Thanks, I didn't know one could do that! I've had a go, it's not perfect as the the adjustment needed on one side differs from that needed on t'other, but my attempt is now in the Gallery.  Smile
Another possible source is the Brooklands Museum archive:-

https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/explore...ollections
Apologies for 'splitting' the thread but here's that GE Stadium again in higher resolution, by kind courtesy of The American Folklife Museum in Washington. I thought the accompanying comments might be of interest:

"Thanks for your interest in James Madison Carpenter and his Austin. That car was both a blessing and a curse to Carpenter, because, though it helped him cover great distances in his collecting work, the open top (and hence, lack of warmth) was impractical for the collecting work he was doing, and also the probable cause of his contracting influenza in the winter months. The car was Carpenter's "home away from home," and one singer, John Strachan, remembers that Carpenter "seemed to be sleeping and even eating in his car." 

In an interview conducted on May 27, 1972 at Carpenter's home in Booneville, Mississippi, Carpenter told American Folklife Center director Alan Jabbour:

"I was foolish enough to get a little open Austin car, instead of getting a closed car.... It had, of course, the top, but it was no good.  I bought a big, heavy leather coat with the fleece on the inside, and as I went north, it got colder and colder, and...at first I had my...underwear that I was used to wearing... I first got a lightweight wool... and then, as I drove farther north, I got the heavier and heavier suits, and finally when I got to Aberdeen, I said, 'Give me the thickest, warmest [laugh] woollen suit of underwear you have.' And it was like a coat, but I wore it."

As it turns out, you know much more about the model of the car than we do... we have simply been referring to it as his "Austin roadster."  I will file your letter so that we can preserve your best guess as to the exact model."

Fascinating! As an ex North-West Morris clog dancer I was most taken by the Jennifer Cutting video. Thanks for posting those links.
I happened to mention my dark past in the pub the other week as there was a long discussion of Historic Ripon (with photos which included a rear view of me in performance), folk were incredulous and asked "Why?" I had to say that at least it was better than playing football!