The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mk 2 Ruby fuel pump
i have recently removed the AC "T" type fuel pump from my Mk2 Ruby and noticed that the screw in the bottom of the pump that prevents the operating lever from moving too far forward had the end broken off. I found the end of the screw in the body of the pump and have replaced the screw with a plain threaded one.

Upon re fitting the pump I found that even with the thinnest possible gasket , the operating lever doesn't appear to ride on the back of the eccentric on the cam and ' although the pump operates ok , I think I can hear a tapping noise from the area of the pump when the engine is revved.

My questions are , 1. Has the original screw broken due to the operating lever flicking back on to the screw due to it not riding on the eccentric ?

2. Is it possible that the end of the operating lever has excessive wear hence preventing the correct operation.

I have checked the eccentric on the cam and it feels fine !!

Any help would be gratefully received
Without taking a pump apart I cannot recall the screw mentioned. However A common topic on the old site was the variety of incorrect arms found on T type pumps which are common to many cars. I recall the arm numbers were quoted. 
Any wear on the arm insignificant cf gasket variations etc. If contact at the very tip, wrong arm.
(And the old advice. Care necessary not to assemble arm on wrong side of camshaft. This forces the arm heavily down and can lead to various damage)
(25-04-2018, 10:08 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Without taking a pump apart I cannot recall the screw mentioned. However A common topic on the old site was the variety of incorrect arms found on T type pumps which are common to many cars. I recall the arm numbers were quoted. 
Any wear on the arm insignificant cf gasket variations etc. If contact at the very tip, wrong arm.
(And the old advice. Care necessary not to assemble arm on wrong side of camshaft. This forces the arm heavily down and can lead to various damage)

Thanks Bob , from what you say , I think I may have a pump with a wrong arm as the contact area seems to be very low on the camshaft and easily slips under the cam when fitting if the operating arm is allowed forward too much.
Hopefully someone may have the correct part number or perhaps a second hand correct arm that I may be able to purchase ??
Thanks again for the valuable info.
Joe.
I believe the arm numbers quoted on the old ASF Forum were as follows:

856955 is the correct one.

1524079 will also operate perfectly well it's alleged.

Complete new pumps - though not I believe arms are available from the Seven Workshop - link below
https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...-fuel-pump
(26-04-2018, 01:43 AM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: I believe the arm numbers quoted on the old ASF Forum were as follows:

Complete new pumps - though not I believe arms are available from the Seven Workshop - link below

Thanks Jeff , I will check my part number and , if incorrect , I shall seek a replacement.

The pump came with the car which had no engine so I assumed ,
 Possibly incorrectly , that it was the right one !!

If anybody has a damaged or un useable pump with the correct arm please let me know.

I will refrain from using the car until I put this problem right ; don't want to cause any major damage.

Thanks again.
Joe.
(26-04-2018, 07:03 AM)Joe eck Wrote:
(26-04-2018, 01:43 AM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: I believe the arm numbers quoted on the old ASF Forum were as follows:

Thanks Jeff , I will check my part number and , if incorrect , I shall seek a replacement.

The pump came with the car which had no engine so I assumed ,
 Possibly incorrectly , that it was the right one !!

If anybody has a damaged or un useable pump with the correct arm please let me know.

I will refrain from using the car until I put this problem right ; don't want to cause any major damage.

Thanks again.
Joe.

Having checked my pump , it appears that I do in fact have the correct operating arm ( thanks Jeff for the info )  . 
I can only now assume that the replacement screw that I have fitted in place of the original broken one is holding the arm slightly too far back to ride on the rear of the cam eccentric.
The original hardened steel screw had a turned down end and it is the turned down section that has broken off.

Has anybody any idea where I might obtain said screw before I resort to a replacement pump ?

Thanks
Joe
Many T seem to have just a protrusion of the diecasting. I guess it is to avoid loss of the return spring above the arm and to assist correct assembly on to car. If the spring is missing would presumably click etc. Any screw could be filed to suit.
The operating range is small but can be measured relative flange, as can eccentric range. With 1524079 arm one I have is 1 5/8 lightly loaded.
(28-04-2018, 11:46 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Many T seem to have just a protrusion of the diecasting. I guess it is to avoid loss of the return spring above the arm and to assist correct assembly on to car. If the spring is missing would presumably click etc. Any screw could be filed to suit.
The operating range is small but can be measured relative flange, as can eccentric range. With 1524079 arm one I have is 1 5/8 lightly loaded.

Thanks Bob.
I did think that there would be hundreds of bits for these pumps kicking around but it looks like I will have to fire up the lathe and set to work.
Once again thanks for the info , it's much appreciated.
Joe.
Joe - there's probably many thousands of complete second hand AC 'T' type pumps kicking around - they frequently appear on eBay and Tony Betts (7 County Austins) probably has a shelf or more full of them. It might be just as easy to buy a S/H pump and cannibalise it for the screw you require keeping the rest of the unit as spare parts - you can never have too many spares !
(29-04-2018, 07:02 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Joe - there's probably many thousands of complete second hand AC  'T' type pumps kicking around - they frequently appear on eBay and Tony Betts (7 County Austins) probably has a shelf or more full of them. It might be just as easy to buy a S/H pump and cannibalise it for the screw you require keeping the rest of the unit as spare parts - you can never have too many spares !

Thanks Jeff , that's a good idea ; I will contact Tony and see what he has.
I am quite new to Austin 7s , and although I have spent over 3 years restoring my Ruby , I have only recently got her to the point where she is drivable. I am still discovering lots of little things that need putting right , fuel pump being one of them.
Thanks again
Joe.