The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leak in fuel tank
I have noted that in my Ulster Rep, there appears to be a slight leak where the NS front tab is riveted to the tank. Is this a common fault and what is the best way to repair?

Erich in Seattle
The proper way is to remove the tank, empty, clean with detergent, wash out and then solder with "lead" or "lead free" solder. The easy way out is to remove the tank, clean with detergent, wash out, dry and then use a "Tank Sealant" such as

https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-car-bike-m...ealer.html

or

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html

BobH
Thank you, Bob. I may have to do the less proper way. I'm guessing that since the tabs are riveted on, that they were attached before the tank was welded up.

Erich in Seattle
If at all possible, avoid doing it the improper way. Tank "sealants" have their limitations as I have discovered when people bring me tanks to repair. When (not if) it fails the sealant residue really messes up trying to do it properly...
I had the same problem and did not want to go through the task of washing out the petrol. I obtained an old fashioned soldering iron (one with a large copper end) and heated it in another room and soldered it up in the workshop (no ignition source). That was 5 years ago and no leaks since.
Don’t whatever you do go anywhere near it with a soldering iron without filling the tank with carbon dioxide or something to remove the oxygen. A hot soldering iron may not be a naked flame, but it’s certainly hot enough to ignite petrol vapour. Don’t ask me how I know this.......
Alan Fairless
Just to emphasise the point:

I washed my tank out 5 times with hot soapy water.

It still didn't feel right.

So I put it in the garage, closed the door to just a slit, got a lit blowlamp on the end of an 8 foot pole, and directed it at the tank.

I know,  we are all cringing now, including me.   This was a very long time ago.

There was a gentle "WHOOOOMF" - no big deal but enough to show that if I had tried to fix the tank without doing this, I might have damaged myself.

So take note:   petrol tanks are VERY dangerous things to play with.

Simon
(25-04-2018, 08:05 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: Just to emphasise the point:

I washed my tank out 5 times with hot soapy water.

It still didn't feel right.

So I put it in the garage, closed the door to just a slit, got a lit blowlamp on the end of an 8 foot pole, and directed it at the tank.

I know,  we are all cringing now, including me.   This was a very long time ago.

There was a gentle "WHOOOOMF" - no big deal but enough to show that if I had tried to fix the tank without doing this, I might have damaged myself.

So take note:   petrol tanks are VERY dangerous things to play with.

Simon
Simon, that is a good heads up. Flame of any sort, should not be around a combustable, particularly petrol.

Erich in Seattle
Funny that, there was an onion in mine...
In the early 70’s I went up to see a mate who was restoring his fabric saloon. He was looking a little sheepish as he had applied his blowlamp to his “thoroughly washed out “fuel tank. There was a 2ft dia ring of burnt paint on his garage door. Needless to say he subsequently took it to an expert. No harm done to him fortunately.