The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamator
(25-04-2018, 11:55 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: What's so wrong with 6v? Sevens have been fine on 6v for eighty years! Anyway, where do you get a 12v battery that will fit in the standard battery 
96 years in total 86 on coil ignition reall now Mike.
Doesn’t time fly when we stop paying attention?
What have other dynomator owners done with the different thread size for the long securing set screws, noted in the instructions? Not sure what is the correct course of action - although I've asked that of the seller too...
The one I have is threaded 1/4 BSW in this location Jon.
ok, that's what it say in the instructions they are... but it says "the original is BSF".

I have no idea, just want to be able to bolt the thing on!

Are you saying that the original screws ARE 1/4 BSW too and there is no issue, Ruairidh?
Yes. That’s what I had to buy. I used ebay. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-WHITWORTH...hash=item0

I had to chop a bit off the length. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
Ok thankyou. I was thinking there was a huge (i.e. thinking problematic) long one too, but am obviously getting confused with the bolts for the dynamo itself.

My unit also had no distinguishing markings on it to tell it apart. Do all the 12V have silver cover plate? (my 6V has black cover plate)..
My 12v has silver end plate.
1931 RN, 1933 APD
(25-04-2018, 07:21 PM)JonE Wrote: Are you saying that the original screws ARE 1/4 BSW too and there is no issue, Ruairidh?

No Jon - to be clear:

-the threads in the original Lucas unit are 1/4 BSF.

-the threads in the Dynamator are 1/4 BSW.

You will need to buy 1/4 BSW bolts to fix the Dynamator to your car, the instructions are correct.

The 12v units were made in an initial batch of 100, these had silver ends, covers and a few other things that made it really stand out from the original. My prototype 6V unit is the same.

One of the improvements I suggested when they started to produce more 6V units was to make it all black. I thought this would make it look a bit more period.

I would be very interested to see a photo of your 6V unit please.
ok, will send one when light enough to take a decent pic. (Box fit doesn't link with unit design at all - not a problem, but just for info)

They really do need some sort of distinguishing marking somewhere if they ALL are going to be black (which looks good, I agree)

It seems a bit customer-unfriendly though not to to send some correct bolts out with the unit, though? I realise we are getting discount, but...
Agreed, I suggested to them that they supply the missing bolts. They said they would look into it. Clearly they haven’t. 

R.
1931 RN, 1933 APD