The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
possible fueling problems?
Hi all. 

After a while of sitting the Austin decided to go a bit temperamental,   The car starts however a
Lot of white smoke from the exhaust, as well as liquid black unburnt fuel from exhaust and the car won’t run for more than 30 second before it cuts out.... Huh. Did all the usual cleaning of spark plugs, taking out and rebuilding carb, no sign of water in the cylinders and the water level is all okay.   Has any one else experienced this?
Ollie, Could the liquid you see be condensation after your car has been unused for some time. I get this with my Ruby and the liquid that runs out of the exhaust is black with the carbon in the exhaust pipe.If you manage to get it to run long enough it will dry our and the liquid and white smoke will go. With regards the cutting out check your fuel pump is working correctly. Take the bowl of your carb off and manually operate the pump with the priming lever or crank the engine and petrol should jet out from the needle valve assembly on the carb. If you are getting petrol then I tend to think it is more of an ignition problem and the usual checks for a spark at the plugs.

Yours John Masonl
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(21-04-2018, 04:48 PM)John Mason Wrote: Ollie, Could the liquid you see be condensation after your car has been unused for some time. I get this with my Ruby and the liquid that runs out of the exhaust is black with the carbon in the exhaust pipe.If you manage to get it to run long enough it will dry our and the liquid and white smoke will go. With regards the cutting out check your fuel pump is working correctly. Take the bowl of your carb off and manually operate the pump with the priming lever or crank the engine and petrol should jet out from the needle valve assembly on the carb. If you are getting petrol then I tend to think it is more of an ignition problem  and the usual checks for a spark at the plugs.

Yours John Masonl

john 
fuel is coming from needle, no problem, black unburnt fuel is bubbling from number 4 spark plug? spark plugs are all working fine, very confusing...
Ollie, is it that it may be too much fuel. Check the choke operation .

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Ollie
I have just experienced a similar problem. The engine ran ok but with lots of smoke and would not rev. What I found was a broken choke spring. This caused the choke to remain in the closed position. A rubber band attached to the choke arm made a temporary repair until I fitted a new spring. (see Zenith 26VA choke spring replacement posted 15 -04-2018).
Cheers,
Roger
For choke read air strangler or air shutter if you prefer!
(21-04-2018, 04:58 PM)ollie cox Wrote:
(21-04-2018, 04:48 PM)John Mason Wrote: Ollie, Could the liquid you see be condensation after your car has been unused for some time. I get this with my Ruby and the liquid that runs out of the exhaust is black with the carbon in the exhaust pipe.If you manage to get it to run long enough it will dry our and the liquid and white smoke will go. With regards the cutting out check your fuel pump is working correctly. Take the bowl of your carb off and manually operate the pump with the priming lever or crank the engine and petrol should jet out from the needle valve assembly on the carb. If you are getting petrol then I tend to think it is more of an ignition problem  and the usual checks for a spark at the plugs.

Yours John Masonl

john 
fuel is coming from needle, no problem, black unburnt fuel is bubbling from number 4 spark plug?  spark plugs are all working fine, very confusing...

I am not sure what you mean "black unburnt fuel is bubbling from number 4 spark plug" - I don"t think this is your running problem but have you got good plug gaskets and are the plugs seated firmly home ?

Tony.
Are you running on fresh fuel ?
Problem found,

gasket around the main needle leaking A LOT of fuel

thank-you for the help and suggestions guys