The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GE Cup - how much luggage space?
Was looking at the one that sold recently and wondered how much space there is for luggage once the spare wheel is in there...  Anyone got better photos and/or experience?  

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/...cup-model/
Hi David

I’m building a Cup just now and apart from the
spare wheel, the folded up hood frame takes up space,
plus the two sidescreens, plus the Tonneau, plus tools

There may be enough room for a day sac and your rain coat....
And a small picnic basket?

I’m planning to run with the hoodframe folded back ,
With a separate hood cover(non factory spec) stowed
And with a neat hoodframe cover.
That way you might get a fair sized sports bag in the boot.

I’d love to see photos what you could squeeze in?

Did you buy the ACA car?

Regards

Bill G ( aka (AllAlloyCup)
Based near the Scottish Border,
I'm not the buyer, just an admirer.

Mine is narrower and lower than an Ulster. Its a lightweight competition special I built thirty years ago. With no spare wheel I've got a box in the tail above the axle big enough for a couple of coats, a tool roll, thermos and lunch. Only one aeroscreen, cycle wings, narrow enough to need staggered seating and the handbrake on the outside.

If I was to put that body in the garage rafters and start again? Strong enough for trials, a fold flat screen, having seen the misery of torrential summer rain in queues in and out of events I think I'd like an emergency hood. (I'm a fair weather walker not an all weather mountineer). Luggage for a weekend away either in or on. Doors? Not sure.

In the same way as competition special building threads often end with "then why not a Caterham and be done with it..." the answer here might be "why not just take your '65 Midget on those trips..."

Back to the GE - I've always looked at them as the sweet spot between lightness and practicality, but never really challenged the "practicality".

Perhaps I was also thinking "pop to the shops for a few bits, but with a passenger" or "school run with sports kit as well as school bag".
Hoods are a complete pain in our sort of vehicles-poor visibility,noisy and[at my age at least] difficult entry and exit.If caught in the rain,by the time one has stopped and set it up one is soaked anyway,better to keep going!For the last 50 or so years I have removed and stored the hood gear from Sevens 65 Chummy and special,MG and Morgans,I have driven to Spain and back with full camping outfit and no weather equipment whatsoever.All you need is a well-fitting tonneau ,cap or hat and waterproofs of choice. "There is no such thing as bad weather,only the wrong clothes"-Oscar Wilde.
Surely with a Gordon England Cup you just take a credit card to show the hotel doorman and purchase along the route, abandoning any dirty (but well made) washing to grateful locals?
(20-04-2018, 03:19 PM)JonE Wrote: Surely with a Gordon England Cup you just take a credit card to show the hotel doorman and purchase along the route, abandoning any dirty (but well made) washing to grateful locals?

Lightweight trials body with provision for enough luggage for the weekend?

Sounds like "Cambridge" to me.

Rudimentary weather gear - only used a few times.

We once had a two week camping holiday with ours, it is surprising how much gear can be fitted in the scuttle, if it is designed correctly.

Simon
Hi JonE

It would not just be clothes that would need cleaned , I’ve seen several Cups doing VSCC trialling and
they get pretty mucky but not as bad as Ulsteroids with skimpy wings..

SWMBO keeps an eye on my credit card so your plan would not work for me!

Ps Still bashing away at the rear wings which came back from the welders today.

Camping in a GE might be possible, with a small trailer. It’s the guys with the giant camper vans
and trailers that have the biggest credit cards....

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
http://www.classiccarshq.co.uk/wp-conten...00x375.jpg

(20-04-2018, 05:04 PM)DavidL Wrote: http://www.classiccarshq.co.uk/wp-conten...00x375.jpg

https://barnfinds.com/barn-find-1929-aus...=imagelink
Stella Wilson toured Europe several times in her Cup Model over a period of 10 years. She was able to carry all her camping gear in the boot, and my sister in the passenger seat (in exchange for my parents taking her clothes bag). Quite a lot of light stuff can be fitted behind the spare wheel, and down in the well below it. The shelf behind the seat had plenty of room for the others stuff she took.

The tonneau remained attached on her car, rolled back and held in place by straps.

Everything is possible.
In my Cup, I have a boot storage bag in the lower part of the boot. This is filled with a jack, spare oil, wheel-brace, tow-rope, First Aid kit, foot-pump, etc., there's also a petrol can. The top part has the tonneau cover and sidescreens, which leaves enough room for a good-sized sports-type bag. If the weather looks doubtful the hood is left resting on the back of the car; if it's going to be fine I can take it off altogether. It has a simple hood-frame rather than the complicated (and expensive!) folding arrangement, so it isn't possible to fold it up and put it in the boot; this hasn't been a problem.