The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silicone Base Gasket
I have been hearing rumours coming out of the UK that the Silicone Base gaskets have not been entirely successful for some people, I wondered if those who have first hand experience could provide feed back.
Personally I have used a couple now with complete success, my Nippy has covered 4000miles since fitment and is still completely oil tight, as a result I was surprised to hear negative rumours.
Black Art Enthusiast
I used one on my Chummy (mag) engine, 2000 miles and no leaks.
I have fitted a good number now (possibly 20-30) all have been 100% successful in my experience.

Faces must be completely clean prior to assembly, I leave the block for 24 hours before setting the tappets to allow for settlement.
Used it on my first engine build last year and have had no issues with it. Now just need to sort out the tappert cover.
(17-04-2018, 10:35 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: I have been hearing rumours coming out of the UK that the Silicone Base gaskets have not been entirely successful for some people, I wondered if those who have first hand experience could provide feed back.
Personally I have used a couple now with complete success, my Nippy has covered 4000miles since fitment and is still completely oil tight, as a result I was surprised to hear negative rumours.

I have fitted these to six engines now with no issues at all. 
I fit them dry and clean. 
They are a super idea. Smile
Has anyone tried using them with a spacer plate under the block, and if so what did you do exactly? (2 gaskets?)

And has anyone measured the fully compressed thickness of the gasket?

Thanks
Thanks guys, as I suspected these rumours are unfounded and quite simply hear say, but like all rumours they can be damaging if not stopped.
Black Art Enthusiast
1000 miles since fitting and the joint is rock solid. No problems at all. As suggested, the joint needs to bone dry otherwise the gasket squishes around to a misaligned position when the block is tightened down.

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
2500+ miles with no leaks. My modern Skoda leaves more oil on the drive than the Ruby!

Peter.
Hahaha, yes it is quite a revelation to be able to park your seven on someones drive with out having to apologise for the mess!
Black Art Enthusiast