The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dizzy gear wear
This is more of interest as I have now replaced both dizzy gear and have new dynamo. I have just swapped my dynamo for a rebuild unit and found some interesting wear on the dizzy gear.
Any one explain what may have caused this level of wear.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-04-2018, 11:52 AM)ollyS Wrote: This is more of interest as I have now replaced both dizzy gear and have new dynamo. I have just swapped my dynamo for a rebuild unit and found some interesting wear on the dizzy gear.
Any one explain what may have caused this level of wear.

No lubricant ?
Old age, wear and tear. I’m 68 and my teeth are wearing and falling out. Even the youngest Austin seven has 12 years on me.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I had the same problem. It was caused by significant end float on the dynamo shaft. In fact my dynamo bearings were complete toast along with the spacer and shims that control the end float.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
I have a dizzy gear just the same. Caused by dynamo endfloat ( bearing retaining plate 2 BA countersunk  screws loose )plus like of lub.
Cheers,
Dave.

(12-04-2018, 05:05 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: I have a dizzy gear just the same. Caused by dynamo endfloat ( bearing retaining plate 2 BA countersunk  screws loose )plus lack of lub.
Cheers,
Dave.
I agree - endfloat in the Dynamo is most likely to have caused this common problem.
The full mechanical history of cars is now difficult to establish. But for my car purchased in 1940 at 40,000 the only stranding prior later mods, parts interchanges and wild use was the distributor drive gear at about 90,000 miles.  Many early greases were quite thick, tended to dry, and the drive stiff. The parts were/are not hardened. Mild steel on mild steel wears notably. I suspect modern light lithium grease perhaps with some moly superior
I stripped the teeth from two new gears before realising they weren't hardened. No problems since replacing with an original. Do you know the origins of your one?

Peter.