The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chassis plate
I want to replace the chassis plate on my Ruby. It is so badly corroded that the numbers are not visible. What size stamp do i need to use to stamp the numbers?
If it's in place and with its original rivets, I'd leave well alone and preserve/conserve the originality and the original surface as best as possible.

You could perhaps put another plate on somewhere else if you really must, in which case the stamp size won't matter as it will be obviously new/replacement anyway?
(07-04-2018, 06:53 AM)shane Wrote: I want to replace the chassis plate on my Ruby. It is so badly corroded that the numbers are not visible. What size stamp do i need to use to stamp the numbers?

Whatever you do, don't remove the original plate.  However poor the condition, it's the only evidence that you have of your car's identity.

Fit an additional repro plate, if you wish, but I haven't seen one that is an accurate copy of the original.  Modern number stamps, even of the right size, are unlikely to be in the correct font.
I agree, the original plate will prove the car is correct if there are any problems in the future with the likes of the DVLA.

If you want to put another plate next to it, I make the chassis plates new.

The chassis plates are on a different hole spacing to the bulkhead plates.

They are priced at £7.00 each. Yes I know it's more than the bulkhead plates, but they are made in ENGLAND in batches of 20. Made in vitrous aluminium. So the print can't be wiped of when cleaning the chassis.

Tony.
(07-04-2018, 06:53 AM)shane Wrote: I want to replace the chassis plate on my Ruby. It is so badly corroded that the numbers are not visible. What size stamp do i need to use to stamp the numbers?

I would not remove the plate, if in the future the number on the plate needs to be proved it can be discovered by forensic/Metallurgical examination.
Same goes for stamped in numbers, don’t think that because the number has been ground off it can’t
be read.
Something very dodgy going on with this car’s chassis identity - buyer beware.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Austin-...mwBanner=1