The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter ring gear replacement
Photo 
Hi Folks

Though I have had my 1927 Chummy for14 years I have never had the the need to post a thread on this forum as the car has been so reliable and the jobs which cropped up were minor and easily dealt with. Over the past few months on start I have heard a crunching noise from the starter. I finally got round to inspecting the starter ring gear and found it to be in a very poor state

I was hoping I could remove the starter ring but the teeth have been etched into the plate.
Best way forward?
Thanks
John

Tried to put a photo showing the wear but on the preview all I got was reams of code.

Attached Files
.jpeg   P1020573.jpeg (Size: 51.24 KB / Downloads: 666)
Have the old teeth machined off the clutch cover plate and a new starter ring gear shrunk on. I have them in stock.

David
(06-04-2018, 10:19 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: Have the old teeth machined off the clutch cover plate and a new starter ring gear shrunk on. I have them in stock.

David

If as often happens the damaged teeth are only part way around the gear then unbolt and move around to a new location on the flywheel.

Cheers, Tony.
Thanks for the advice folks, as I am going to get the engine out I will do a full assessment and see if there is anything else which needs doing at the same time.

John
Hi Ben
A new Starter ring is the only real longterm solution. You may need to get a local machine shop to fit it for you.
Its not a big job but it needs doing well. The clutch bolt holes will need re -milling out as well as when its turned off for the new ring you lose half of the hole.

Good luck.
Hi Folks thanks again for the advice I now need to locate a starter pinion, I have tried emailing / telephoning a few suppliers without success, has anyone bought one in the past few years.

John
I may be able to help you with a used but serviceable pinion if you can not find one locally
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian

Thanks for the offer but I have got someone to sort out the existing one.

Thanks again.

John