The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster rep tool/jack storage
Hi All,

This may seem an extreme of esoterica. However, I can't honestly believe that the works would have simply tossed a Shelley jack, and a roll of tools into the boot of the EA Sports or EA Super Sports to bang around. So how were the various tools constrained behind the seats? A box or clips of some sort?

Erich in still cold PNW US.
I tend to wrap anything potentially damaging in a towel/old rug etc and organise things like spare oil/fuel so that they don't roll about in the tail. From others' experience, as you can imagine, much damage can be done but not doing this reasonably methodically. It is also useful to have tools or smaller items in a canvas or other type of bag so that you can reach it. With a spare wheel in place, I think it would be difficult and impractical to try to store anything immediately behind the seats.
I have always stored all my tools and spares behind the seat of mine Erich. I decided on this after loose tools in the tail moved about and dented the bodywork.

I use a roll for most of the tools and wrap cut up old inner tubers around items (like a thick elastic band - keeps them together and prevents them bashing other things) that might bounce about. I have a small ammunition box with Spares in that fits neatly between the side of the body and the transmission tunnel.

The spare half shaft in taped inside two radiator hoses. The gallon of fuel wedges between the aminition box and the spare wheel. I carry a lot, others choose not to do so. If anything is loose in the tail, it will fly about.

I have a second battery box fitted in my Chummy under the driver’s seat which provides very useful space but does limit access to the rear prop mounting etc.
(03-04-2018, 03:24 AM)Erich Wrote: Hi All,

This may seem an extreme of esoterica. However, I can't honestly believe that the works would have simply tossed a Shelley jack, and a roll of tools into the boot of the EA Sports or EA Super Sports to bang around. So how were the various tools constrained behind the seats? A box or clips of some sort?

Erich in still cold PNW US.

I generally store stuff behind the seat, well wrapped and tied to the spare wheel with bungees. When touring I do without the spare wheel and jack, and have got away with this behaviour in many thousands of miles. Most of the clothes, waterproofs etc are packed in soft bags so that they will go through the spare wheel aperture. I still carry spare fuel, water and oil together with a good set of hand tools and a spare distributor (I have used a very unreliable Bosch)
I think Erich is interested in the original scheme - I'm afraid I have no clue on this.
To those interested in popular practice - I added a wooden toolbox on the scuttle to nearside of fuel tank which holds most of my tools. Jack, spare oil and so forth goes on the 'shelf' behind the seats. For touring, I've done it both with and without spare wheel, but in either case the entire tail is packed full for a serious trip. The important thing is to distribute it thoughtfully - e.g. sleeping bags (light & squashy) down the tail, heavy stuff over the chassis. If you plan regular trips like this the tail section really needs some additional support building in.
I got two car boot storage organisers from Lidl.  They are made of a tough nylon carpet material and have fold over lids secured by Velcro.  One is long and oblong and fits behind the bulkhead to the rear of the spare wheel. This takes the jack and other heavy spares. The other one is just the right size and takes a 5L petrol container. This sits behind the other right in the tail of the car.  Things like bottles of oil, water, etc fit in the gaps around them.  Anything loose in the tail will roll around and damage it.  I also have a thin plywood floor in the tail which helps.  It is surprising what you can store in the tail of an Ulster!
Malcolm put me onto the above Lidl organisers and I bought a pair too. They work very well as he says and could almost be custom made to fit in the rear of an Ulster. However, I was using the larger of the two to store my 'stuff' when I do hill climbs and sprints and that meant I was leaving it in my paddock pile when competing. Fine if it's dry but not if it's wet!!

Looking for something more waterproof that still fits in the tail I came across these http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk...0litre.php

Obviously waterproof, a lid that clips in place and it fits through the spare wheel slot. In addition, it fits perfectly across the floor of the tail and is exactly the right width such that it doesn't slide from side to side. I bought mine at Morrisons where they were about £5 each. Doesn't answer the original question about what was used originally but certainly a good and practical option in 2018.

Steve
Thank you all for the responses. Chris is correct regarding my query of what was used originally. The works must have provided something to at least locate the jack and jack handle so they didn't roll around.  I expect that whatever was provided would have been between the seats and the spare since the unsupported part of the tail is rather weak. Perhaps there were spring clips or a wooden box?
(03-04-2018, 11:55 AM)Steve Jones Wrote: Looking for something more waterproof that still fits in the tail I came across these http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk...0litre.php

Steve

Other sizes are available and also "white strong" for a little more money:-

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk...ge_rub.php
(03-04-2018, 04:17 PM)Austin Carr Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 11:55 AM)Steve Jones Wrote: Looking for something more waterproof that still fits in the tail I came across these http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk...0litre.php

Steve

Other sizes are available and also "white strong" for a little more money:-

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk...ge_rub.php

Thanks Austin. I looked at 'white strong' option but I decided that they're deeper than the standard 9 litre box and won't go through the spare wheel slot. 

Steve