The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antifreeze
What make and type of antifreeze are people using in their cars?

For years I have used Bluecol 2 year blue antifreeze but I am struggling to find some.

Frost are supplying a Granville product: Granville Sub Zero Blue Antifreeze and Summer Coolant. It says this is a Monoethylene Glycol based antifreeze that does not contain nitrates,amines or phosphates. Suitable for aluminium engines.

Thanks for the feedback.
Hi I get the bluecol from Amazon.
I use Comma Super Coldmaster available from Comma stockists and eBay

http://www.commaoil.com/commercial-vehic...s/view/300
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Corrosion inhibitor yes, anti-freeze no
After some research, I am using Fernox Alphi-11 which has (IMHO) many merits. Being cheap isn't one of them but its long life is a compensating factor. You do need to use it in a fairly high concentration (40%+) to obtain the anti-corrosion qualities, I believe.

Regards,

Stuart
Morris Lubricants:-

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/...olant.html
I'm presently running a car that leaks oil into the water (not the other way around). I have a spare engine on the bench ready to fit for when it all goes pete tong, and a freshly bored block with new studs etc ready to go on the current engine at the same time.

Presently I am running water, as antifreeze makes it worse.

What is the considered opinion regarding adding just inhibitor. Will it make my issue worse? better? or have no effect?.

I simply drain for the summer. But clearly it probably isn't doing my innards the world of good.
I've been using this from Euro Car Parts for a few years now.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a...wKEALw_wcB

Does what it says and not expensive particularly if you take advantage of the discounts they regularly offer. Branches pretty much everywhere.

Steve
(29-03-2018, 12:57 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I'm presently running a car that leaks oil into the water (not the other way around). I have a spare engine on the bench ready to fit for when it all goes pete tong, and a freshly bored block with new studs etc ready to go on the current engine at the same time.

Presently I am running water, as antifreeze makes it worse.

What is the considered opinion regarding adding just inhibitor. Will it make my issue worse? better? or have no effect?.

I simply drain for the summer. But clearly it probably isn't doing my innards the world of good.
I've run on plain water for many years but it does eventually take its toll in terms of corrosion and scale deposition. Can't say whether inhibitor alone will aggravate your leaks but I suspect less so than antifreeze.
Fernox F1 corrosion inhibitor. Keeps the water crystal clean. No antifreeze properties but that's problem that I can get round when it's needed. 

Charles