The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Big Seven starting problem
Must admit I too have been very sceptical about stale fuel but this exercise has proved it to me except for the compression issue. I have just done a compression test with a hot engine and throttle wide open and it's giving around from 80 to a max of almost 90. As I have previously said Ibelieve that maximum compression is the cars compression ratio times atmospheric pressure so the maximum I can expect with 6/1 ratio which my big seven is is 6x14.7 equals 88.7. Is their correct or not? If it is then no way can you get any higher readings than this so I am either wrong or there are some incorrect testers out there.
I recently bought a brand new compression tester and that gives a reading of 50 ish but an old one I borrowed gives my the 85 ish. Interesting!
My ruby has always had starting problems with fuel over 6 weeks old. It will usually run on the old fuel once started on new and warmed up but this spring I started it up on fresh fuel but it would not run at all on the old stale fuel even when warm. Had to drain the tank and just use it for washing parts etc.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(30-03-2018, 01:41 PM)Thowdfella Wrote: Must admit I too have been very sceptical about stale fuel but this exercise has proved it to me except for the compression issue. I have just done a compression test with a hot engine and throttle wide open and it's giving around from 80 to a max of almost 90. As I have previously said Ibelieve that maximum compression is the cars compression ratio times atmospheric pressure so the maximum I can expect with 6/1 ratio which my big seven is is 6x14.7 equals 88.7. Is their correct or not? If it is then no way can you get any higher readings than this so I am either wrong or there are some incorrect testers out there.
I recently bought a brand new compression tester and that gives a reading of 50 ish but an old one I borrowed gives my the 85 ish. Interesting!

From my notes -"Compression pressure checked with a Compression Tester will as a rule will be 17 to 20 times the
compression ratios with a street cam according to Stuart Bonney in his 2006 paper 'Compression Ratios and Cylinder Compression Testing in Ford N Series Tractors ' -

Taking an average of 18.5 for a 6.2 to one CR you get a rounded 115 PSI at a cranking speed of 120 rpm .

Cheers, Tony.
I too am sceptical about the "stale fuel" statement.   I think it must be stale fuel plus something (more than time) else.

My little outboard - 2 stroke, used one week a year, so the fuel is 51 weeks old - starts second pull.

My big outboard, ditto, wouldn't go unless everything dried the previous year and fresh fuel put in.

The Cambridge lives in an unheated garage, is used maybe every three months at present, always starts.
By the time it has come up the village, there is more water than fuel in the carb due to condensation in the slab tank.

So far, the Tourer, kept in the home garage, starts and runs ok at irregular intervals.   Using a torch, there is a layer of  flaky rust over the bottom of the tank, the product of which accumulates as a fine dust in the pump and float bowl which need cleaning from time to time.

The lawnmower (4 stroke) which lives outside and hasn't been used since November, started second pull.

So that is 1 to 4 against the stale fuel.   What is Factor X that we are missing?

Simon
I wonder if some cars/fuel systems are more prone to the problem than others, or perhaps it is something else altogether.

How about, bacteria degrading the fuel? No bacteria and all is well, but once you've got it in the system its hard to get rid of it completely and the next tankful gets infected too and thus goes off.

Daft? There are no doubt lots of articles but the first one to come up on Google was .......

https://www.quora.com/Can-bacteria-grow-...r-kerosene
Interesting range of experiences concerning fuel. I am quite prepared to believe that other factors may affect the ignition of the petrol/air mixture. However I believe that if a component in the process is less than correctly adjusted or not quite in proper working order the older petrol will be less forgiving than fresh. 

Have a read of what BP were saying a few years back:
http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country...-tanks.pdf
(31-03-2018, 10:36 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Interesting range of experiences concerning fuel. I am quite prepared to believe that other factors may affect the ignition of the petrol/air mixture. However I believe that if a component in the process is less than correctly adjusted or not quite in proper working order the older petrol will be less forgiving than fresh. 

Agree entirely Nick and is what I was trying to say in my previous post. 

In saying that my bog standard RM will start pretty much straight away on petrol that's two years old,  I'm not saying that the fuel hasn't deteriorated but I am saying that the other components in the equation appear not to have done. 

Steve
Bacteria is a recognised problem for stored diesel in boats.

One thing that does deteriorate is an old rubber fuel pump diaphragm in 'new' fuel. I wonder if the OP's is black or red?

Another thing that doesn't last is a modern sub standard condenser etc etc
For what it is worth I find with my Ruby it maybe something to do with how well the tank is vented. When I put petrol in ( I never put in more than 3 gallons) the car runs fine. I leave it in the garage and soon the whole garage has that lovely smell of petrol. Over the next few weeks this petrol aroma diminishes and with it the starting efficiency of the car. It would appear to me that with age the petrol has evaporated off the spirit element that vapourizes easily without warming. The car normally will run on old stale petrol okay once I have got it going on new fuel. I put this down to the engine and manifold being warm and thus enabling the petrol to vapourize more easily.
Could it be that some cars have more than necessarily over vented petrol tanks.
Has anyone else got views on this.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Some of you may remember the thread i started 'SU Woes' about my Riley running problems. After many weeks of ripping the carbs apart and replacing the Mag with my spare etc etc, I finally drained the tank and replaced it with a gallon of fresh petrol. The problem went away. Now I know there are plenty of people who can return to a car after some weeks and it will fire up perfectly, but for me, ageing petrol was the root cause of my trouble..