The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auction price
I didn't see this car, but it appears to be a totally original, unmolested, unrestored car in very sound rust-free condition, still with original trim (very rare indeed on cheap rexine-trimmed open tourers), and, incredibly, still with original paint (rust spotted but would soon improve with careful cutting back and waxing). Even the hood and sidescreens appear to be original.  With a bit of sympathetic refurbishment you could take this car to a show and I guarantee there will be far more interest  than in the usual over-restored glossy examples you see everywhere.  I just hope that the new owner will carefully conserve what is there and not be tempted to follow the usual pattern of repaint, retrim, rechrome, rewire and re-everything else.
As regards price, it appears expensive, but how do you value originality? How many Sevens are still out there as original as this one appears to be?  Maybe a dozen at most?  Will there be another opportunity to buy one?
I can certainly see the value in this car, even if no-one else can.  Incidentally, £11200 plus 10% Buyers' Premium, plus VAT on the premium comes to £12544.00.
(25-03-2018, 09:19 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: I know it only takes two to make an auction but just look at how much this Opal made at Brightwells' Bicester sale last week. Lovely patina, but even so, £11,200?!

Lot 267 here:

https://www.brightwells.com/classic-moto...1st-march/

If anyone wants mine for £11,199 do let me know...[Image: wink.png]

I have seen this car prior to the auction.
At that price, someone has lost their head - cannot understand that.
(25-03-2018, 05:13 PM)Mick Hobday Wrote: I didn't see this car, but it appears to be a totally original, unmolested, unrestored car in very sound rust-free condition, still with original trim (very rare indeed on cheap rexine-trimmed open tourers), and, incredibly, still with original paint (rust spotted but would soon improve with careful cutting back and waxing). Even the hood and sidescreens appear to be original.  With a bit of sympathetic refurbishment you could take this car to a show and I guarantee there will be far more interest  than in the usual over-restored glossy examples you see everywhere.  I just hope that the new owner will carefully conserve what is there and not be tempted to follow the usual pattern of repaint, retrim, rechrome, rewire and re-everything else.
As regards price, it appears expensive, but how do you value originality? How many Sevens are still out there as original as this one appears to be?  Maybe a dozen at most?  Will there be another opportunity to buy one?
I can certainly see the value in this car, even if no-one else can.  Incidentally, £11200 plus 10% Buyers' Premium, plus VAT on the premium comes to £12544.00.

Mick,

You may have your rose tinted glasses on.

Yes the car is very original.

I viewed it, and I can't see the original seat coverings being saved. Especially the rips in the bases. Perhaps put a blanket over them.

And I don't see the paint comeing up with a polish and wax, it will always look as it does.

But can be preserved as is, as a running everyday car.

Tony.
I believe Mick has a point, originality is something which can NEVER be replaced, I would go so far as to say that in some cases restorations could be viewed acts of vandalism. It is increasingly obvious that modern restorations are copying details for cars restored incorrectly in the past, we even have a book written on originality which uses incorrectly restored cars as examples of how they should be. So yes maybe this one could not be pressed into service and retain the rexine interior, but as an example in a collection it is a valuable reference source. The Fred Dash Cup springs to mind, that could have been restored when it was discovered, I doubt that many would today think it a good idea to do so, and in my opinion it would be an absolute travesty if it were. I am sure that there will be some who completely disagree with my thoughts, but original cars are no longer plentiful so I applaud anyone who conserves one today. Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I say that even though I wish I could still buy seven's for a fiver..... times change.
Black Art Enthusiast
Yes,as you say Ian times change and values are relative but there's also "auction fever".
In any other scenario the idea of parting with hard earned without even having experienced driving the car would be considered nuts.. in many cases without even hearing it run !!
Brightwells recently sold a 32 RP, £5000+ premium- £5600.. a shoddy car, wouldn't start,I suspect it had been many years since it last started supposedly having been in receipt of a £7000 expenditure before being laid up !! heaven knows what that went on.
The same week a lovely RN found its way onto Ebay,rebuilt engine and gearbox,very presentable although a later rear axle,sold for £6,650.
What should have been a restoration project,presented as " for light recommissioning" commanded far more than a private sale would have harvested.. but,point taken,there are two bidders out there that disagree with me.
I have looked again at the photos of this car, this time with freshly cleaned glasses.  Yes, there are a couple of problem areas with the paintwork, but it appears to be well over 90% intact.  Compare this to an incredibly original Morris I owned that had been badly stored for 50 years and retained less than 50% original paint finish, the rest being red-brown surface rust.  It was always my intention to give it a full respray, but when my daughter, Sally, insisted she had the car for her wedding transport and with only very limited time for preparation, I went for the oily rag look - and I am glad I did!   It happened to  save me a large amount of time, effort and cash and it was very much admired by all, especially Sally. I was asked to do several other weddings afterwards, and now the car has found a new, very appreciative owner in France.
The original rexine on the Opal will be a challenge to conserve, but, believe me, there are things you can do to preserve it as an example of how it was done originally, and still have the car as usable transport.  Much better to do this than the apparently preferred option of many "restorers" of using super-stretchy over-stuffed vinyl - often in out of character garish colours.
If the new owner is reading this then may I congratulate him/her on their purchase.  If he/she gets in touch with me then I would be very happy to pass on some of my techniques and experiences of conservation.  I have owned 4 very original oily rag cars, unfortunately none of them being Sevens.  If anyone has one for sale then please let me know, I would be interested in purchase.  Sevens, for a number of reasons, have suffered the vandalism of the good-intentioned "restorer" probably far more than any other pre-war car.
Like Ian says, once you have made the decision to restore a car, that's it, there's no undoing  the restoration, you can't unrestore a car.
Maybe the apparently high price paid for DAT 166 indicates that there is now, at long last, a change in attitude in the conservation/restoration debate.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(25-03-2018, 05:13 PM)Mick Hobday Wrote: I didn't see this car, but it appears to be a totally original, unmolested, unrestored car in very sound rust-free condition, still with original trim (very rare indeed on cheap rexine-trimmed open tourers), and, incredibly, still with original paint (rust spotted but would soon improve with careful cutting back and waxing). Even the hood and sidescreens appear to be original.  With a bit of sympathetic refurbishment you could take this car to a show and I guarantee there will be far more interest  than in the usual over-restored glossy examples you see everywhere.  I just hope that the new owner will carefully conserve what is there and not be tempted to follow the usual pattern of repaint, retrim, rechrome, rewire and re-everything else.

A good example of conservation over restoration:-

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/car-sos