The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Sports
(15-09-2021, 03:35 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: And for the record, I doubt any manufacturer would have sent a car our new ex works with bent front wings. The bonhams/ebay photo shows a car with bent front wings.

The wing  "bend" might be the result of the photograph being at an angle? The picture I posted was straightened in photoshop but the "bend is still there - I can straighten it if you like...). If they are bent, might the lad have sat on it, or the car sent out like that? After all, this was not a Rolls Royce job. I've had new, modern cars with various faults on delivery including a loose grill (Fiat); a broken grill (another Fiat, the salesman stood in front of it while I went over the car with a fine toothcomb); a dinged glovebox; loose exhaust; wiring hanging down below the engine bay; corroded alloy wheels (Fiat, again); overfilled with oil and belching smoke upon leaving the showroom (Kia); wonky NS headlamp (Discovery) - etc.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

the bonhams listing is confusing to me?

it suggests an austin 7 EVE maskot? i didnt think austin made this maskot? also the eve maskot will be chromed, suggesting made in the 1930s.

it then suggest the maskot is the same AS the one on the car?    NOT the actual one from the car.

often auction lots of item, are sellers collections put together over decades. NOT all relating to each other.

this might be, and i say might be? a lot put in from the seller of the 1923 car. who also put all the spares lots in. and some paperwork.

tony
I've had a look in my Desmo Accessories book dating from the early 30's.  There are numerous car mascots but sadly no 'Eve'.  There is a similar one 'The Skating Girl' but she is wearing a dress and ice skates. There is an upright girl with her chest stuck out and arms held aloft, called 'Freedom'. This is described as:
MM347 'Freedom' Mascot is of delightful proportions, modelled from the nude.
Most enchanting and fascinating. Available in two sizes.
Chromium Plated as standard.
Height 6 3/4"
Weight 20 oz

35/- each

MM348 is a smaller edition of the 'Freedom' mascot
Height 5 1/2"
Weight 12 oz

25/- each

So the choice was whether you like your girls big or small!
The Austin Motor Company didn't make the Eve mascot, but it was marketed specifically for the Austin Seven. I've seen a period advert, I think it might have been a Gamages advert, which mentioned it as having been produced for the Austin Seven. The seller describes it as nickel-plated brass, which would be correct for the early/mid-1920s.
They would appear to crop up in auctions on a regular basis, usually described as by Desmo, sometimes chrome, sometimes nickel, available in two sizes, the smaller with 'EVE' embossed, the larger one with 'EVE' engraved.

.jpg   Eve.JPG (Size: 29.9 KB / Downloads: 235)

Hmm... I've inserted a picture of the two sizes, but it's not showing  Sad
AEL also done an eve mascot.
That's interesting, Tony. There are three on Ebay at the moment, each is different in detail: one is very clearly a very crude copy, another has the fore-leg at a peculiar angle, presumably done to avoid a copyright claim.
Legs Akimbo?
Not quite! The leg from the knee down is turned through 90° - looks quite painful!
(16-09-2021, 03:54 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Legs Akimbo?

One can only hope....

EVE - the three the Mike found - plus one more and a modern version, too
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144157630564?...SwHQ9hGoWD
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174594497037?...SwGvZf~vqR
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144196261371?...Sw5p5hPJMP
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203549309674?...SwGh1gis9r

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)