The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuse Wire
My 28 Chum has a simple fuse box (CF2?) - uses a piece of fuse wire but wondering what rating it should be.
Also I have been given some flat thin fuses which would fit but i do not know their value.
Any thoughts on how i could find out.
(Don't really want to conduct 'destruction' tests!
John W
20 amp is the flat fuse that was originally fitted.
(23-01-2018, 06:52 PM)williamsderbys Wrote: My 28 Chum has a simple fuse box (CF2?) - uses a piece of fuse wire but wondering what rating it should be.
Also I have been given some flat thin fuses which would fit but i do not know their value.
John W

This was discussed on the old forum but I can't find it. From memory the old household lighting fuse wire suits - 8 amp ? 

Not sure but I thought the  original (rare) flat fuses were  10 amp .

Cheers, Tony
(24-01-2018, 12:04 AM)Tony Press Wrote:
(23-01-2018, 06:52 PM)williamsderbys Wrote: My 28 Chum has a simple fuse box (CF2?) - uses a piece of fuse wire but wondering what rating it should be.
John W

This was discussed on the old forum but I can't find it. From memory the old household lighting fuse wire suits - 8 amp ? 

Not sure but I thought the  original (rare) flat fuses were  10 amp .

Cheers, Tony
In 1958 it was any nail that would fit![Image: rolleyes.png]
In a previous role of school science teacher I used to demonstrate fuses by hooking an about 3cm piece of the fuse wire in series with a power supply, a variable resistor(rheostat), and an ammeter, all standard items in a science classroom. With the rheostat at its maximum I would switch on and gradually decrease the resistance until the fuse, to generally muted excitement, melted - noting the amps when it did so. The fuse wire (which I would guess was British) reliably melted within an amp or so of its advertised value.
I would imagine that there isn't a non-destructive method of finding the value of an unmarked fuse, although visual comparisons with fuses of known values may give a guide.
:There was never any 8 amp fuse wire only 5 amp 10 amp 15 amp 20 amp 25 amp or 30 amp
Stuart k
(24-01-2018, 10:51 PM)Stuart k Wrote: :There was never any 8 amp fuse wire only 5 amp 10 amp 15 amp 20 amp 25 amp or 30 amp
Stuart k

.jpg   8 amp fuse wire.jpg (Size: 85.62 KB / Downloads: 206)
Sorry been a sparky all my life never seen any 8 amp fuse wire
(26-01-2018, 09:46 AM)Stuart k Wrote: Sorry been a sparky all my life never seen any 8 amp fuse wire

Is the rating of fuse wire the amperage it blows at, or is it the safe continuous rating, I can never remember.
(26-01-2018, 09:46 AM)Stuart k Wrote: Sorry been a sparky all my life never seen any 8 amp fuse wire

That's because it's Aussie fuse wire. They don't comply to British 17th edition.