The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve guide - ok to cut down?
I am in the process of smoothing out the ports on my block which is quite a nice lockdown job.
I ground down the (late type) valve guides in the intake ports to blend in with the base of the port. Is it ok to do this with the exhaust ports or better left alone?
Well, I do.
Alan Fairless
And I do too!

Steve
You could always feather them to your advantage which also gives you maximum guide for valve support.
That makes three of us Terry.
Fit them with the top of the guide level with the bottom of the port, that way you still get full support for the valve but no interruption in the port. No need to shorten straight guides.
If you push the valve guides down with a high lift cam they will come into contact with the valve spring caps and early guides need to be modified for double springs and high lift cams (see drawing)  Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(15-11-2020, 01:34 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: If you push the valve guides down with a high lift cam they will come into contact with the valve spring caps and early guides need to be modified for double springs and high lift cams (see drawing)  Terry.

Thanks, I didn't want to push the guides down as I was concerned that this could be an issue. I've ground them down flush, not too hard with a die grinder.
Hi Folks,
My guides are pushed down but still allow full lift then I grind off the bit left in the port.
I can not get the springs out unless until the cam followers are removed. my cam follower guides are also cut down.