The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN Scuttle Mounted Fuel Tank "A Baffling Problem"
I decided to replace the petrol  tap on our 1932 RN with a scuttle mounted tank (April 1932). My idea was to replace its simple modern chrome tap with and "original design" Ewarts tap  that can be operated from within the car (complete with reserve setting).  I managed to purchase a replacement Ewarts tap via eBay and I followed the well documented instructions from Roger Bateman of DA7C to refurbish it with O rings. As he states, to get the tank into place you have to remove some of the tank mountings. 

Having removed three bolts, and checking the position of the replacement tap, I decided to go one stage further and investigate the condition of the tank and scuttle. I removed the fourth bolt and took out the tank. Behind was a spanner hidden that had probably been in there some time, certainly before we purchased Harvey over 5 years ago . But then, as I moved to tank to put it in a safe place I heard an ominous rattle - something was loose inside the tank! It wasn't another spanner but a baffle that was lying in the bottom of the tank.

The tank looks in sound condition, and is probably not that old, but there are marks where the baffle plate used to be located and it has obviously been on the move. 

The obvious question is what to do next? 

Below is a picture that I managed to take through the filling port using the wonders of modern smart phones. The original location of the baffle is clear. 

Questions:
  • Was the baffle plate glued in place? The location is on the centreline of the tank (and vehicle).   
  • What material is our tank and what was the original construction material back in 1932?
  • How can I put it back in place?
  • Was a baffle plate part of the original design
I would welcome comments. 

The body fittings on the tank are riveted in place and there is a single seam along the top of the tank. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RN Scuttle Mounted Fuel Tank "A Baffling Problem" - by Steve Parkin - 29-11-2020, 05:54 PM