The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differential Planet Gears
For anyone who is curious, I pulled one of the planet shafts out of a scrap differential (too bent to be recoverable).

The shafts are secured only by a plain 0.2" dia mild steel pin, which is split and splayed on the inner side only. The pin takes a fair effort to drive out; rather like a rivet it spreads rather than punches through. I guess the pins were inserted before the outer diameter was turned, as the pin heads are almost invisible on most units.

I'd say there is a reasonable chance you could make new securing pins (forget re-use) and re-fix the shafts, but how to bring the shaft hole accurately back down to size is another matter. I wonder if they ever were tight - the shafts are ground but the holes are very roughly drilled. As a colleague pointed out, if all the pins were tight and square it would have been a devilish job assembling the two diff halves together, a little wiggle is necessary.

I'm inclined to agree with Ian, it all seems to go firm once the two halves are put together so probably nothing much to worry about. I might see if I can squeeze some Loctite bearing fit into the joint just to tighten them up though and eliminate fretting.

Update: Just in case anyone is quietly following with interest - I flushed the shaft to carrier joints out in situ with volatile solvent (brake cleaner) and allowed 24 hours for it to evaporate off; then flooded the joints with Loctite 641 (bearing fit, dismountable) and assembled to the other half of the housing so they would set in alignment. By the following morning any trace of looseness has disappeared. I'm not a huge fan of 'liquid engineering' but I feel pretty confident in the result.

Messages In This Thread
Differential Planet Gears - by Chris KC - 14-08-2019, 11:55 AM
RE: Differential Planet Gears - by Ian Williams - 14-08-2019, 09:34 PM
RE: Differential Planet Gears - by Chris KC - 14-08-2019, 10:14 PM
RE: Differential Planet Gears - by Bob Culver - 15-08-2019, 01:51 AM
RE: Differential Planet Gears - by Robert Leigh - 15-08-2019, 10:36 AM
RE: Differential Planet Gears - by Chris KC - 16-08-2019, 04:43 PM