The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Period photos

.jpg   photo 1.JPG (Size: 189.79 KB / Downloads: 692)

1923 Scoop scuttle Chummy.  Photo dated August 3rd 1927, Wainfleet Road, Skegness. 4.30 pm. Sun extra bright
The driver is my grandfather, seated next to him is my father and my grandmother and a friend, Jim Grummitt in the rear.

My grandfather had an engineering business in Nottingham and the car was used for the transportation of all sorts of items. Not having any shock absorbers at the rear, a series of G clamps along the springs were used to dampen the ride.  Grandfather was a poor driver and each morning, on the way to work, drove down the centre of one of the main roads into Nottingham ( Arkwright Street ), continually sounding the horn. One day my father could stand it no more. He took the wheel, never having driven before, and grandfather never drove again!
The car was finally scrapped after the body split into two when carrying a very large and heavy bronze gear wheel
Fabulous shot, Tony; and 100 years later, nothing much has changed:

.jpg   Fore St Chard.jpg (Size: 85.05 KB / Downloads: 689)

Austin seven Special, taken in 1933. It lives in my garage.

Another non-Austin, a 1911 Daimler, Driver is my grandfather
    I found this in a Gloucester WI magazine, no comments about the car just the picture.
This is a photo of my car supplied by a descendant of the original owner Wilbur Walker

.jpg   Austin and wilbur.jpg (Size: 80.77 KB / Downloads: 638)
(18-08-2017, 07:32 AM)Albert S Wrote: From the internet..

Miss J Alwynne and her 7 "Blotto" ?... Brooklands 1931... quite a girl  Big Grin
I have a large framed photograph of this car/driver in the hall,Brilliant !
(18-08-2017, 08:52 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Fabulous shot, Tony; and 100 years later, nothing much has changed:

Thanks Mike- the building still looks good doesn't it, much as I remember it from a visit in the 70s. Apparently Judge Jeffreys held his assizes in the building behind.   

The family lived upstairs and I believe my young father fell through a trapdoor into the workshop below.

Unfortunately I didn't write down all grandfathers stories.

Cheers, Tony.
(18-08-2017, 11:45 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 07:32 AM)Albert S Wrote: From the internet..

Miss J Alwynne and her 7 "Blotto" ?... Brooklands 1931... quite a girl  Big Grin
I have a large framed photograph of this car/driver in the hall,Brilliant !

Excellent.. guaranteed to start the day with a smile Smile.. Besides this lone shot I've not been able to source any more images of Blotto.
What a refreshingly sizeable number of lady racing drivers around this period... but were any so lovely as Kay Petre  Shy

Attached Files
.jpg   image.jpg (Size: 45.05 KB / Downloads: 568)
Two more from the 'fifties, Silverstone this time:

.jpg   1956 Nottm SSC Silverstone.jpg (Size: 87.51 KB / Downloads: 507)

.jpg   1959 Six Hour Relay.jpg (Size: 117.58 KB / Downloads: 508)
(18-08-2017, 09:29 AM)Roger Wrote: I found this in a Gloucester WI magazine, no comments about the car just the picture.
  a  'Barn Find'

On our travels through Ireland last week in our top hat we happened to be admiring a lovely thatch roofed pub that wasn't open. The publican came out and said "I have an Austin 7 in the barn" so of course we had to inspect. It is a scruffy box saloon about 1932 and was well used by her late husband and now only taken out a couple of times a year for parades by a neighbour. I encouraged her to look after it and put her in touch with the forum and suppliers. The pub is in Ballyboy if anyone is passing through.  cheers  Russell