The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooling Fans
I have an early coil engine that I obtained without a fan. I have 2 fans of opposite hands in stock. One is marked 1A 253 and the other is not so clear, but I think reads L 1025. Which is the coil and which is the Mag engine fan?
Thanks in anticipation..............
Bob,

Coil orientation:

Mag orientation:

Thanks - that's a brilliantly quick reply! Is that 4 bladed fan an "export model"?
Hi Ruairidh,

Sorry for change of subject regarding the Dynamator on the coil engine, are you happy with its performance.

cheers colin
Bob,

the coil one is an export one, the mag one was made by John Barlow for me - I don't think they made a 4 blade mag fan originally but somebody will know for sure. P.s. I will buy the Mag. blade off you if you have no use for it!

Colin - I have answered in your separate post but essentially - yes!
(20-12-2017, 07:53 PM)bobthompson Wrote: Thanks - that's a brilliantly quick reply! Is that 4 bladed fan an "export model"?

The four blade 'export' fan didn't appear until the early 30's with four bolt fixing. All the magneto motor  four blade fans are modern creations, most with two bolt fixing. As far as I know the two bolt fixing is adequate.

Cheers, Tony.
I have a two bolt export fan that is not a modern creation.

.jpg   DSC06374.jpg (Size: 252.58 KB / Downloads: 267)

.jpg   DSC06375.jpg (Size: 228.57 KB / Downloads: 269)
Black Art Enthusiast
I have a selection of two and four bolt export fans (I think they were given to us by Ronnie Heggany and Bill Sheehan) - but none are like yours Ian, it is very curvaceous at the ends!
Oh I do like curvaceous!
It is unusual I grant you, there are no casting marks, but it is well made, I could not tell you if it is Austin manufacture or after market. I has some age thats for sure, my gut feeling is that it is probably after market but I could be wrong and it could be a very early but short lived export version for a coil engine. Lovely though isn't, far nicer to look at than the usual version Smile
Black Art Enthusiast
(21-12-2017, 11:39 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Oh I do like curvaceous!
It is unusual I grant you, there are no casting marks, but it is well made, I could not tell you if it is Austin manufacture or after market. I has some age thats for sure, my gut feeling is that it is probably after market but I could be wrong and it could be a very early but short lived export version for a coil engine. Lovely though isn't, far nicer to look at than the usual version Smile

Ian,

I suspect a non original fan. As far as I know the export four blade fan pulley was a larger diameter with four bolts - the last one I fitted had a short large diameter steel pulley complete with four blade fan.

Cheers, Tony.